PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
How long is it possible to put a pipe down for?
I was just wondering as a new guy, how long people will wait
between relights. Some times I just have something come up and can't finish a bowl but I'm not done and there is plenty of smoke left. Can you wait 1, 3, 10 hours? When dontou just quit and clean it out? Also when smoking and a pipe goes out or your nearing the bottom how long do you wait to relight?

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
PS thanks for helping out a young (what's young?) newbie.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve let a pipe set for several hours before relighting. There isn’t a hard and fast rule to either of your questions. Tamp and relight, if it tastes good smoke it, if it doesn’t dump it… Enjoy!

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
From reading SH novels in high school in college I'm not thy interested in becoming a shag smoking dottle and ash collecting disorganized savant...that's how I read it anyway.
Thanks all.
The reason I ask is that I have a short drive to work. I can't pack small enough bowl to actually smoke with out an miserable hot taste, but I wouldn't be able to finish until 8 hours or so later. Is that possible? Is there. A difference between cob and briar in this respect, cause I need an excuse to buy one of phils inspired nosewarmers

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Jayh,

I never have any issues with a bowl that has set from morning to afternoon.

But, as for buying a nose warmer....

It's called PAD... Pipe Acquisition Disorder..

We all suffer from time to time.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah I'm only a few months in to this, it gets better or worse? Haha
starting a pipe at night and finishing in the morning sounds perfect, I feel tempted to try it tonight!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's not uncommon for me to do just that.

I personally like to pack a bowl just before bed time, smoke it for a few minutes without tamping. Then the next morning tamp light and enjoy with a cup of coffee. A light latakia blend is particularly good.
About PAD

gets better or worse?

Depends on your perspective.

wataru

Lurker
Apr 30, 2010
I personally never liked relights. All I would taste would be ask. Probably because I smoke all my pipes alittle hotter then most.
But lately I constantly rotate a piece of white bread in my containers to keep the tobaccos very moist so I can get 2-3 relights from a single bowl. Typically I wont go more then an hour unless I pop the pipe into a humidor or wrap it up in a zippy.
Honestly though, it does work well with bargain mixes, left over mixes and most OTCs

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
jcsoldit's advice is spot on.

My experience has been if I leave one of my black ropes for more that an hour, they become very strong and harsh.

My Va's become sweeter and more nutty.

My English blends remain somewhat constant.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
im smoking half a bowl this morning....and leaving it till past lunch. In honor of "the show" I'm smoking inside today (the wife is in L.A. this weekend)

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Jay... I thought of one more thing you can do. Something I often do is slide a pipe cleaner into the stem to where it just touches the tobacco. It will soak-up any moisture in the stem before it can be absorbed by the tobacco, which may eliminate the chance of your relight tasting sour. This is more of a summertime issue due to how warm the inside of your car can get.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
How about sprinkling just a pinch of fresh tobacco on top to wha lt you have left good idea? I tried it the other day and it seemed to get things going well. I could just see myself getting careless and ending up with a very tightly packed bowl very near the bottom. Wet and hot. Good for girls bad for pipes.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Okay Jay... I did a little unplanned field testing.
Last night before calling it a day I decided to have a pipe and a scotch. So I packed one of my larger pipes, this baby has a bowl that is about 2.25" deep and almost as big around as my thumb, full of an aromatic. After about 45 minutes and a second scotch I put the pipe down and decided to head up stairs.
I finished the bowl this morning with a cup of coffee and the sports section, and I have to say it tasted great… no complaints whatsoever. I’m sure it didn't hurt that our Cleveland Cavaliers beat those miserable Celtics last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.