PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I've read and understand that the pipe should rest for 24 hours after smoking to let them dry out. However is this suggesting after a day of smoking or after EVERY bowl? In other words is there any harm in smoking a bowl (lighting, relighting, setting, finishing) and then repacking that same pipe later that day? I remember seeing my uncles dump their ashes and repacking right away.
And a final question here - tonight I was getting down to the end and found that there was still baccy that had not burnt. Any harm in adding fresh tobacco on top of the partially burnt stuff.
Any thoughts??

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
If I smoke a pipe more than once it is right away, then I let it rest for at least a day after that. I never add tobacco to a bowl. It gives a smoke a bad flavor and you will not enjoy it. Smoke it all the way down and if you can't finish the bowl at the bottom, dump it out. IMHO

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I smoke the same pipe day in, day out, every single day. I only wait long enough for the bowl to cool before repacking.
However....this is a small Peterson 317, and it stays dry. The system works for me. The tobacco I smoke also smokes dry and I smoke it to the bottom.
I have other pipes that I would have to rest for sure for at least a day, because after smoking, the bottom of bowl is soaking wet and nasty. If I smoke those pipes day in and day out, they become sour quickly. Hence, those pipes don't get smoked much. Only on the rare occasion I feel like an aromatic or English blend.
This is probably one of the main reasons I have gravitated to some of the tobacco's I smoke the most, and this becoming my favorite pipe of all time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The rule of thumb is you should let a pipe rest one day for as many bowls as you smoke in the pipe. If you smoke three bowls in the pipe in one day, let it rest 3. I personally rarely smoke a pipe more than once a day, and let it rest at least one but usually 2 or more. I have plenty of pipes so I want my pipes to be at their optimum performance level. I have never nor would I ever add tobacco to a pipe when it still has some in it from the previous bowl, that is an affront to humanity and you will be forever known as a blasphemer should you choose to do it. :lol:

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Bryan - what do you smoke?
Harris - you're funny. Some day I'm riding the iron horse to the West coast of Fl and we'll have a smoke.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
pipes without cake I smoke one bowl a day then let it rest at least a day. I've got a couple of old work horses that I've been smoking for over 20 years and I'll smoke as many as 4 bowls in a day then at least a day rest, everything else is 2 bowls a day with rest of a few hours between bowls then at least a day of rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.