PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
Why do some blends taste so bad on a relight,and others can relight hours later with no effect on the taste?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blends should taste better on relight. If they don't, correct the packing of the pipe, perfect your tamping technique, and try another blend. Occasionally, a bowl can get a little stale toward the bottom, but not usually. They should tune up after the charring or first light and go better from there as a usual thing.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I also think it depends on moisture.
I've set down some damp bowls, and upon returning and relighting it is not good. I've also loaded up some pretty large pipes and smoked them on and off, dry, for an afternoon or longer, with no ill effects.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
Maybe it's just the way I'm smoking at the time. But a couple of blends always taste like a old ashtray when I relight them.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There are so many possible reasons for this it's pretty hard to give a single cause. I never relight Latakia blends. Relighting when it just goes out is fine but I find that if Latakia has been smoked and then rested it's rank once relit. If I know it will be a while before I can or want to relight then it goes straight to the bin. That's just me though. Most Virginia seems to handle relights really rather well, it can be a bit nasty for the first minute but settles down quite nicely. I have left a half-smoked pipe of Virgina for days and it's been fine when I have sparked it up again.
In the end, different blends do different things and I have given up trying to find the answers to questions like these.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Having a nasty relight is a given when you are smoking Borkum Riff.
Just kidding, what tobacco's are you talking about? I am not big on relighting anything after half an hour or so. When I light up I plan on finishing the bowl with my normal relights for lack of paying attention( 2-3 times a bowl). Although relighting after half an hour is not the worst thing, I just prefer my tobacco to be at it's peak.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a tendency to not dry enough.
Sometimes, the last quarter gets moist and difficult (even if dried well).
As I tamp and relight, it eventually gets more challenging to relight.
When that happens, I'll gently poke the ash layer to loosen and dump the ash. Then I'll stir, pry and loosen the unburned material. After it's "fluffed up" a bit, let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then it usually relights easier.
I think getting most of the ash out before letting it rest aids in keeping the flavor nice.
Otherwise, dump it. Life's too short to fret over the nickle's worth of nasty leftovers. I have to remind myself of this occasionally. #firstworldproblems
jay-roger.jpg

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Moisture in bit an tenon will make it taste not so great as well on a relight. Run a cleaner tru it an then light it. Makes a big diff

Status
Not open for further replies.