PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Hello everyone,
It has been some time since I have posted here last. I have moved continents again (back in Canada for now) and have felt less need to interact with the pipe community as I have reached a stable point in my pipe smoking for the last year or two, not changing my pipes or tobacco. As such I have felt that I have had less to contribute besides the

same things I always say. For what it's worth they are the following (works for me anyway)
2 estate Dunhills

1 Peterson

1 Savinelli

Dunhill London Mix, Durbar

C+D Billy Budd

Dunhill flake in the summer
Dry the tobacco out enough then shove it in. Check for good draw
That’s it.
Recently I had a rare encounter with another pipe smoker and had a nice conversation, it rekindled my interest for interaction with our community. I will now present the following for discussion:
The last 3rd (or ¼) of the bowl: Bad for aromatic smokers, good for latakia smokers.
My favorite part of a bowl is the last 1/3. Everything is packed down nicely, effortless smoke and flavor production and a slower rate of burning. For aro’s I’ve found it the opposite, the nice casings have worn off by then and you are left with what is usually a thin tobacco taste. Thus, aro’s lend themselves to a top heavy packing technique (frank-esq) whereas Englishes like an overall tight pack.
What do you think?
PS: Future posts will include vintage Dunhill tobacco reviews, commission pipes, and ebay tips. Infrequent, but hopefully entertaining.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I completely agree! I find the bottom third of a bowl of aromatics tastes quite different from the top third. I think it might be the condensation from the casing traveling down and fouling the tobacco

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the report varies from blend to blend almost endlessly. My only advice would be, once the flavor stops being satisfying, the smoke is over, whether it is half way down or when everything is reduced to white ash. The idea that you are being thrifty suffering through the last part of a bowl when the flavor has gone is futile.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
I like the way MSO puts it so simple. My issue with smoking a bowl all the way specially aros is I don't seem to get much flavor at all till the first 1/4 of the bowl is smoked and till about the last 1/4 is left that said I almost never smoke my aros all the way to that last 1/4th. since I rarely smoke at all I don't let my pipe end on a bad note.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm thinking of gathering the bottom 1/3 of my smokes into tins and selling them to guys who think it's some sign of macho to smoke it down to the heel even though it tastes like dirt.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
As long as I have time, it's not frying my tongue and doesn't taste like hell, I'll smoke it to the end. I agree with latbomber, I sometimes like the last part of a bowl, but I only smoke English blends these days too.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Life is too short to suffer through any portion of a bowl that simply isn't working for you today. Dump it and move on.
Well said sir, and I couldn't agree more.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The very last part of the bowl is when the flavor of the briar steps into the spotlight. Coupled with what you've said about the tobacco being somewhat stabilized and burning slow it's the best part of every smoke. I don't do aro's so I can't relate to them.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
mso489, your observation here if taken to heart by us newbies can save us a lot of tongue tinge. I think that getting all your tobacco to burn with flavor is the result of experience with cadence and all the variants one encounters with different blends and pipes.

If your smoke starts to get bitter, hot, or just nasty, it's time to let it go out and maybe try it again later, or maybe just start with another bowl.

I think the report varies from blend to blend almost endlessly. My only advice would be, once the flavor stops being satisfying, the smoke is over, whether it is half way down or when everything is reduced to white ash. The idea that you are being thrifty suffering through the last part of a bowl when the flavor has gone is futile.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I tend to smoke down as far as I reasonably can just because I don't want to the smoke to end. However, I often dump the lower portion of the bowl when it's getting nasty and then refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.