PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
This guy has lots of informational videos on You Tube. This is his simple method for rehydrating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5sfyvIOu0&list=PLF038D14740357930

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Hm, I see the logic of it. Firstly, pfft at distilled water. I don't know what your tap water is like in America, but here in the UK it's good enough for anything.
I used to do similar to this with rolling tobacco when I rolled cigarettes, except I would just dampen my hands and sprinkle it in that way. A friend of mine, oddly enough with whom I had the rehydration debate with yesterday, holds his pouch/jar/whatever at an angle over a boiling kettle, then shakes it, as the water molecule stick to the tobacco and the inside of the container.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I don't know what your tap water is like in America, but here in the UK it's good enough for anything.
Ours tends to be flavored with things like 4-methyl-cyclohexane-methanol which give the tobacco a pleasant licorice taste.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I just use tap water and spray the inside lid of the humidor. It works fine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I thought the reason behind distilled water is chlorine....being the major factor followed by whatever else is in the water supply. Here in Phoenix I wont even drink the tap water. I lived literally 50 feet from the entrance to Olympic National Park in Port Angeles WA. and that water was from a well, you could have bottled it. Coming straight from the glacier. That was some good tap water lol.
Any thoughts on using the humi pillows? If I get something a little dry I put a humi pillow in a zip lock, its not directly touching the tobacco and its going to stabalize at 67%. Not good?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Chlorine breaks down organics (that's what we like about it) and in the process forms chlorophenols, which are carcinogens. The verbotten aspect of tap water in humidifiers doesn't, however, revolve around chlorine. It has to do with dissolved solids in the water. As the water in the humidification device evaporates, it leaves behind the solids, clogging the carrier media. Exactly the same process occurs in distillation: The water vapor is solids-free, the solids collect in the pot. Check your tea kettle, it probably has a white coating of solids inside.
For humidification/dehumidification of pipe tobacco, I use the Boveda packets. The humdity level is selectable, and they work both ways: If the tobacco is too wet, they absorb, too dry, they evaporate. Works for me.
For larger-scale humidification, like bringing whole leaf into case, I use a big mylar bag, 1/2 sheet baking trays and a cooling rack with wet sponges.
03415484403322-vi.jpg

Baking tray on the bottom with wet sponges, cooling rack on top of that to provide space, another baking tray on top with the leaf. All stuffed into a mylar bag. Spong in with the leaf is there to keep an air space above the leaf and allow for air circulation. Set on top of a space heater on low. Takes a couple of days to bring crispy leaves up to nice pliability. And it smells soooooo good in there!

Aug 14, 2012
Put a piece of wet sponge on a coaster like object, such as the plastic cover of a McClelland's tobacco can. Place the coaster on top of the tobacco in a humidor or jar, sponge up. Mix with your hands after 24 hours and feel if it is ready to smoke. If not, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.