PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Recently I received a pound of 5100 Red Cake, only to realize a week later that it was bone dry. I'm going to call the vendor and see if I can get a replacement and somehow avoid having to return the stuff, which presents problems of its own. But in the event that doesn't happen, how does one rehydrate such a large amount of tobacco? I do have a large canister with a rubber seal snap lid that can be used for rehydration, if I can figure out what to use to plant water in it. Far too much for those little coins to work. Suggestions?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Large bowl....wet a clean dish towel with distilled water, just enough not to be drippy. Cover the towel with a loose layer of plastic wrap. Here in the desert, I add a ball of wet paper towel to a dent in the middle of the towel, again not dripping, and then cover. It works slowly, and I remove and stir the tobacco every 12 hours. This will gently revive the tobacco, prevent wet spots (which encourages mold), and has always works best, of all the methods I have tried. Of course at the Shop, I use the walk in humidor for amounts larger then 2 pounds.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks! Sounds like a workable plan, although time consuming. How long (approximately) would it take? Until the towel is dry? Or just by feeling the tobacco until it seems "just right"?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I have no idea where you are, or your ambient humidity. I rehydrate the towel every time I check it. I work in a situation that starts with a humidity in the single digits.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I used this setup. Spread tobacco in bin and fill sponge full of distilled water and put tray in middle of bin. It was slower than I liked, (ten days) so I spritzed and mixed to get what I liked eventually.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10722/pa090968-600x450.jpg

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Put it in a big container, plastic bag etc and spritz it with water. Seal it up and check in about 2 to 4 hours. There is a bit of a learning curve with this method. If, after 4 hours it is still too dry, spritz again. If too wet, leave out to dry a bit. Learn from the experience. If you gave 1 pound of dry tobacco 4 spritzes and it was too wet, next time try 2. Don't be a slave to your dry tobacco!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Again, much thanks for your suggestions. I should point out I'm in Michigan, but during this time of the year ambient humidity will be low. Unfortunately, searches don't pull up names, so unless woodsroad makes a post, I won't be able to PM him. Jitterbug, I like your method: it is more active and sounds like it will take only a day. Desertpipe, your method sounds fairly good as well but sounds very gradual. I'm going to point this out to the vendor--that these measures are time-consuming and a bit messy--and maybe they'll replace the dry tobacco, as Red Cake is one of two of my "goto" blends, the other being Trout Stream. Again, thanks! I'm up early today, so I should get a hold of the vendor when they open. They know I've done business with them a long time, and this will be the first time I've complained to them--and also, they'd hate for me to name them on a forum! (Hey, what's wrong with a little blackmail? :evil: )

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Ive never done a pound but I had an ounce of dried tobacco that I put in a plastic container and wrapped in a damp shop towel. I then put the wrapped bowl in a gallon bag and let it sit over night. Came out perfect. I am also in Michigan so maybe that would work for you on a bigger scale.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Honestly, you need to return this this stuff and get it replaced.
You can rehydrate it, but why? If it was free, that is another story, but you paid for it and the vendor owes you tobacco in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.