Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Once again this forum has done itself proud. I have so many of you to thank.
As many of you know, I am away from home and challenged in many ways on how to keep piping comfortably. Before finding these Mylar bags through the old box pass thread (thanks to woodsroad for the original link by the way), I was improperly storing some bulk tobacco in what I thought were quality Ziploc freezer bags. Within 45 days I had a favorite blend go dry. I mean really dry.
This was the first time I had encountered this so of course I came here for advice. Using our custom google search, I looked before asking and found a wealth of knowledge on the subject of rehydrating tobacco. I chose to use a high quality durable paper towel and a smaller Tupperware like container. I dampened the paper towel and draped it over the top of the container. I then sealed the container with its lid. I chose to drape the paper towel with a little bit of slack so it would hang down a bit into the open space of the container but not so much that it would only come within about an inch of the tobacco itself. I also didn’t want water dripping onto my tobacco bed so I was careful with the amount of saturation on the paper towel. I let it sit for 24 hours.
The results were fantastic. It looked and felt like it had come straight from a glass jar. It smelled much like it once did. (It wasn’t as fragrant due to the improper initial storage, only muted a tad). I lit it up for the first time just moments ago and it was everything I remember it to be. Actually it was better because it was almost lost. It was better because my friends here helped me save it.
Thanks are owed to you all. I have said it before, this forum is a gem. Its wealth of knowledge is a virtue and a tribute to its contributors.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Congrats. I was recently successful with 8oz of Penzance from 1999. I have missed this baccy so much. Really is one of my favorite blends.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
tarheel, sadly I have never had the ever popular Penzance. One day I will come across some and see what everyone is fussing about about. Glad you saved the tobacco!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I just rehydrated an unopened but dry tin of Brinkmann´s Golden Mixture from the 1960ies successfully with a cigar humidor humidifier within a few days. Works like a charm and even a damp piece of paper tissue will do...

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I did the same a few months ago with some 2006 Tilbury and 2006 Stonehaven. Both had dried out, as they had been stored in square glass jars with the plasticky seal..the kind many use for flour/sugar/etc..
But a few days with a wet paper towel and back to normal. They are now sealed properly in a Kerr jam jar.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
As it seems to me there is no particular problem in pipe tobacco becomeing dry when you can revive it so easily within a few days. Even long term storage seems to work with dry tobacco, or am I mistaken here?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
As the tobacco dehydrates, a lot of the oils that give it the flavor are gone. Rehydrating brings back the moisture, and the tobacco still retains some of its flavour.. but it will never be just as good as it was before it dried out.
I dare say that if you were to smoke a bowl of fresh/aged Tilbury or Stonehaven, and then smoked mine, you could probably tell which one had been revived.
Kind of like the movie Flatliners. You brought it back to life, but is it really the same....?!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
At least with cigars it´s the water that goes first. If they are stored in an improper way the oil goes next and the cigars can´t be revived. I have glass jars with a twist cap with a rubber/pastic gasket and wonder if they are suitable? :?:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Yes. Canning jars are optimal. With twist caps to tighten.
The non-tightening jars (the ones with just a rubber/plastic gasket, or the ones with a seal and a clasp) are the culprits that let air seep in and ruin to tobacco.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Its a lesson we all learn at some point. I almost threw out huge amounts of great tobacco a few years ago due to it being dry. In fact I did throw a bunch out before finding out how to rehydrate it. Now no matter what once its open it goes into a Mason jar. Even if I just want to try it and figure it needs some time to age. Get you a big wide mouth jar. When you get those 1/2 oz bags and don't want to have a whole jar with a little in it like that, take the whole bag fold it over and put it bag and all in the jar. This keeps jars free but keeps your last few bowls fresh as a daisy and you down have to worry about it mixing cause the bags are all separate I call it my "Remnant Jar".

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
This keeps jars free but keeps your last few bowls fresh as a daisy and you down have to worry about it mixing cause the bags are all separate I call it my "Remnant Jar".
Ever considered mixing the remnants together?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Ever considered mixing the remnants together?
I have thought about it. The thing is I really enjoy the blends I smoke so much it would feel like a waste of good tobacco if it sucked, and be even more infuriating if it ended up being awesome cause I'd never be able to recreate it.
But you do raise an interesting point. My local B&M does this they call it the "Whatever jar", when there is less than an oz or two of any of the house or sample tins of tobacco left they throw it in the "Whatever Jar" it free to anyone that wants to partake. Sometimes it can be really good, other times you need a belt sander to take the taste out of your mouth. I bought an old beater wall pipe that is just my whatever pipe. That's all I'll smoke in it is "Whatever".

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Yeah, the recreation would be difficult. However, the chances that you smoked an awesome blend that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience would be difficult to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.