PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Tomorrow will be my one year smoking a pipe, and I think that is pretty cool.
It was a year ago I walked into my local Smoker's Friendly and picked up a little bulk bag of Whiskey pipe tobacco and a Fujima pipe. Those were technically mistakes 1, 2 and 3: cigarette shop, value bulk bag and plastic Chinese pipe.
The pipe looked like a wood pipe in the box to my novice, untrained eye.
The result was me burning the hell out of my tongue that took three days to get back to normal. But that didn't stop me because it was soon after that I found all of you.
The guys on this forum have been a wealth of knowledge from which I've pulled from time and time again. You all were instrumental in keeping me going with the great advice, similar stories and general humor. I don't know how many times I dipped my bucket of questions into the Googleator about pipes during that first week and every result practically lead me back here.
Sure, I got some good info from other forums, but it was PM where most of my questions found answers. How to pack a pipe, light it, what kind of pipes are good, which ones suck, cleaning, restoring, buying, selling, tobacco's that are good, ones to avoid, and reviews upon reviews.
So, thanks for being a huge part of my formative year.
Here's a short list of guys that have either been influential or just really solid dudes from my first year that I'd like to extend a "thank you" for either advice/recommendations you may have indirectly dispensed or good conversations: @numbersix, @peck, @harris, @cortez, @lostandfound, @sparrowhawk, @trailboss, @troutface, @tbradsim. I'm sure I've forgotten some others, but anyways, thanks guys.
15 pipes and 3 lbs of tobacco later, I can say it's been a good year. Here's to many more.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Congrats on your first year in what will probably be a life long journey. I have had similar epiphanies and can't thank this forum enough.
I also underpin your shout-out list. I have dealt with most of them on public posts and personal PM's and have definitely helped me smooth out what would have been a very steep learning curve.
Glad you are hear cmdr, I enjoy reading your posts.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, this forum has been a life and money saver. Without you guys I'd probably either have given up after quite a few more futile efforts or wasted a bunch of money on bad blends that didn't suit my tastes (I've still managed to do a bit of that on my own anyways) or lesser pipes.
PM, P&C and TobaccoReviews have seen a lot of traffic from me in the last year. I was always a big eBayer (most of the things I like can't be found in stores or at the mall) but I've bought practically all my pipes there.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What began for me about 2 months ago as an experiment to utilize RYO w/o papers has blossomed into a pipe fascination. I've already made some mistakes that cost me money, but they were part of my learning curve.
Luckily, the first pipe I picked up was a MM Cobb. So, I wasn't very far from happy smoking right away. I discovered lots of pipes on the auction site and scored a few used pipes. Among them were two that I wish I'd not acquired. One is a beautiful looking pipe called a Yello Bole Brylon...hot as hades..for me especially..and the other is called The Pipe...now I know that these look good but are synthetic and tend to smoke hot...
Now I'm getting into tobacco acquisition. It's a whole world of exploration.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yup, made the estate Brylon pipe mistake as well. Lol. Medico Apollo, that thing was terrible. Welcome to the pipe tobacco Thunderdome.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Congratulations on your first year! I've got a few months to go before I hit that milestone, but I can tell you that I agree with your comment about how this forum has made the hobby more enjoyable. A lot of great resources and support at our fingertips.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats on your milestone. I wish we had the internet and this site 44 years ago when I started with the pipe. Lot's of experimenting, trial and error and yes, one Brylon that I keep on the mantle to remind me of past mistakes.

Continue having fun and hanging out here.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your first year and hopefully many more to come. Soon you will have 30 pipes and 100 pounds of tobacco with no end in sight, you have been assimilated so just enjoy it and don't fight it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@harris, I'm not fighting it. I just have to temper myself which usually results in sporadic bursts of PAD/TAD, usually the latter. I can't wait for my week of vacation here in a couple weeks, going spend lots of time on the patio smoking and will really get to enjoy the late night smoke. I enjoy lighting a pipe at 2 AM when its quiet, dark and cool.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
No doubt, every time I go into a B&M (which isn't too often as I buy everything online because it is cheaper and a far wider selection) there is almost always folks smoking cigars (including the employees) and sometimes a pipe smoker is present.
My gym shorts I wear around the house are proof of the flying tobacco embers vs synthetics question.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Attempted pipe smoking sometime back in the late 70's. Somewhat late in my life as I was in my 30's then and it was a total disaster (the pipe smoking that is). Had no f'ing idea what the hell I was doing and I thought the only tobacco's were Middleton's Cherry and SWR as that is what a few of my coworkers smoked. Jump to the present and my trying it again due to my 50+ years of smoking cigarettes, and still desperately wishing to stop I gave the pipe a try again. Admittedly, I'm still addicted to cigarettes, but the pipe has given me a glimmer of some hope, and thanks to this site after perusing the info here for a long time before I joined I've learned a plethora of knowledge. I can now actually sit down, relax for an hour or so with a pipe and keep the freaking thing lit in lieu of sucking on a coffin nail. Well that and aside from the fact of opening up my eyes to the plethora of great tobaccos available. Many were hit and miss, but I'm learning my niche as to taste.
Some great members here and very helpful! Other than that, and the only downside to this site, is that it has sucked the freaking money out of this 'ol retired farts pension check what with all of the tobacco I've purchased and can't afford! lol
Other than that... congrats cmdrmcbragg on your one year being here! :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, you've made it past some really bad pipes to reach the high ground of good pipes and good tobacco.

Forums has a good group going. I've learned a lot and gotten a lot of information as well.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Congrats on year, I am only into pipes about a month and already get alot more satisfaction out of pipes than cigars. Cigars are just as easy to smoke as cigaretts. Just light and smoke. There is so much more to the pipe smoking experince. Also on a side note for phil 67 you should try the ecigs start with a high nicotine dose and work your way down. It worked great for me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Here's my cabinet just a little less than a year ago. I took this near the end of August. Pretty bare bones and that was all I had bought in about a month of picking up the briar.
photo-600x448.jpg

Here it is today.
img_1103-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.