Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Why would anyone want one these days? I don't know-but, I've been looking at a couple that are pristine. I always wanted one in my Army days like the Teac or Akia but couldn't afford them back then. They had the best sound available then and played forever. I don't know that you can even find the tapes anymore and especially pre-recorded music. Still, I'm looking at a great Grundig TK-46.
Anyone have experience with these or still own one?

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Yes! In the early 1970's I bought a great Teac reel to reel which I kept until good cassette players came out.

It was a high end model that enabled me to record 5 voices on top of each other - so I was able to be my own Baroque choir and doo wop group. I really loved that machine! :D

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
You hit it on the head cajun,

most reel to reel tapes have all but disintegrated.

good luck finding anything anywhere.
Great platform though....

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is the one I'm looking at. Looks new. It's the Grundig TK 46 I mentioned.
T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFSz5cBQ-JsYUtw60_57_zpsf5588dea.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't know anything about that deck but Grundig made good equipment IIRC. I owned three reel to reels way back when,including a "Quadraphonic" Sansui.

Here's one source of tapes-- http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Reel-To-Reel-Tape.html

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I owned a Teac, that was awesome then. As you said it was the best sound at the time, and would play for 8 hours straight. However CD's have as good a sound now, and most of my 60 Gigs of music is on an external hard drive. Its easier to find what I want, when I want. And you can set up a play list in a few minutes, thats completely different from anything prerecorded.
Just saying that they were the best, but are out dated now.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Teac3440_zpscca6d835.jpg

TechnicsRTR_zps746de821.jpg

Many people who grew up in the heyday of RTR machines think the sound is spectacular. There is one company still making high end audio RTR machines and are still releasing recordings for them.

http://www.tapeproject.com/
Some people have made on site recordings of local groups/orchestras through the years and have that only means to play back the recordings. I love the mechanical side and the asthetics of them and hope one day to own one of those classy looking Technics decks like the one in the bottom picture.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I guess I'm trying to talk myself into it but really don't know why other than it's something I wanted many years ago. However, technology has surpassed the reel to reel decks and other than just looking plain cool I doubt it would sound any better than CD's and you can play/record those easily. Pre recorded tapes are just not that bountiful either.
This guy has it all and does it all.
http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/elx/Vintage-Records+Recordings.html

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I must be going through a late life crisis. I don't think I had a mid life one so maybe that's what's happening now. I don't recall the last time I was interested in reel to reel, maybe back in Army days when we use to see Akai and Teac recorders in Playboy magazine. A guy I knew when we were in Hanau had an Akai his parents sent him, best I remember and it was great. I couldn't afford one then but I can now. :)
I've always had an interest in electronics and I guess lately I've awoken a sleeping giant with all the radio interest and now reel to reel tape decks. I did a lot of research and decided to get this one.
TeacX-10R_zpsd04e803f.jpg

What the hell. You're only here once. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
In the Navy I was practically glued to the AN/TNH-24 (so much so that I remember its model number 20 years later). Those things were indestructible.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I played with one when I was a kid in the early 80's. they can take a beating. It probably still works if one of my parents dogs hadn't chewed through the power chord.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
They seem to have a sound all their own. With a 10 1/2" reel, like the one shown in the pictures of the one I got, you can have 96 minutes of music on each side!It also accepts the 7" reel. I have a lot of CD's and vinyl records I plan on transferring to this machine.
Tell me when you retire you sit around on the couch, watch TV and eat chips-not me.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It seems I've seen some equipment that had Teac/Tascam on it...maybe on ebay while I was looking for decks.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Well, here it is. I feel like putting on my gold/black smoking jacket and matching ascot, firing up my favorite pipe and listening to some Dean Martin on this thing. :D I'm having fun with it although it was a pain in the ass getting up seven steps. I had to take it out of the box as I couldn't maneuver it. I kept trying to figure a way to connect it to my A/V system and finally did with some help for a few audiophiles.
I'll be doing some taping tomorrow. I actually got it with the reels and there was an owners manual with it...a rarity. Those are 10" reels. You can get 196 minutes of taping on those bad boys.
_DEF3896a_zps085de114.jpg

_DEF3891a_zps81f9d40d.jpg

_DEF3899a_zps4894e15a.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It's a blast. I haven't figured where I'm going to put it yet. My entertainment center is full and I wouldn't trust it to hold a near 50 pound component like this one. It's going to take it's own table...sturdy table, might I add. I'm going to do some taping today. i ordered a pair of Pioneer CS-99 speakers(vintage 80's I think). My Klipsch speakers are tied up with home theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.