PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've not heard of that one. As a kid, I had severe pollen allergies. And I've had poison ivy so severe,

I had to have a cortisone shot when it spread systemically to my eyelids. However, I've been happily

blending with, and smoking, McClelland's Red Virginia Cake, and other Virginias for some time, with

no allergic reaction. Allergies are notably individual, and also they come and go. I'll be interested to

learn about this. Hope I never experience it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't have an issue with virginia. Certain latakia blends will give me a canker sore like I get when I eat too many raw tomatoes.
It doesn't stop me. I love raw tomatoes. And latakia.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I believe Harris has a body chemistry aversion to Red Virginias. Perhaps he can chime in on this if he sees it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
At some point cigrmaster (Harris) should chime in as I believe he has a sensitivity to Red VA's. I personally have no problems with them and couldn't tell you when I had smoked one with out reading it in the description.
-Jason

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Any Virginia that I've smoked has given me a bite.I think it's a chemical reaction.Alcohol flavored Aromatics do the same thing to me.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have a bite (acid burn) problem with red Virginias but I love them. I have found the Delayed Gratification Technique has helped alleviate much of my problem. McClelland reds (my favorite) are especially a problem. I have found that airing the tin a bit until most of the catsup or acetate smell subsides lessens the bite. I don't have a problem with McClelland 5100 red cake, which is a mystery to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried for years to smoke the reds and it was not until I joined this forum that I learned it was a body chemistry issue for me. What happens to me when I smoke them is as soon as the smoke hits my tongue it feels like acid is touching it. It tingles and burns and I can tell instantly that there is too much red in a given blend.
I spent a lot of money trying to smoke 5100 and other McClellend Va's, Rattrays Va's, Haddo's Delight, the Stokkebeye flakes and many others. Now I avoid them like the plague and have found 28 Va's, Vaper and Vabur flakes that do not cause me any issues at all. My body chemistry is such that I have a very high uric acid level, which is one of the reasons I have dealt with kidney stones for over 30 years. There are tons of great blends out there that you do not have to worry about getting bitten, it just sucks if you have an issue because the reds do taste so freaking good.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have that in a mild way with reds...when the smoke hits the tongue I get an intense, almost uncomfortable tingle. Fortunately, it only seems to be in the top part of the bowl and gets better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, as long as it goes away, count your blessings, with me it gets worse and worse. Years ago I found a number of Va flakes that did not bother me, but could not for the life of me figure out why some Va's tortured me while others were fine. It was a real epiphany when someone mentioned the issue of body chemistry, a light went off big time for me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harris is so sensitive to red that he stops every time the light changes.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have that in a mild way with reds...when the smoke hits the tongue I get an intense, almost uncomfortable tingle. Fortunately, it only seems to be in the top part of the bowl and gets better.
Tarak, you are so right about the top part of the bowl causing most of the problem. I too find that if I tough it out things get a lot better (and more delicious).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, lol.
roth, PG is also on my do not smoke list. It dries my mouth so badly that even Biotene doesn't help. I dabbled in Boswell aromatics last summer and did enjoy many of the flavors but the dry mouth was so bad I ended up giving away about a pound and a half of them. I know that Solani Silver Flake lists red virginia's as a component and for some reason I can tolerate that one.

Aug 1, 2012
My sensitivity doesn't seem to extend to red VAs but when I smoked G&H Black Irish the first puff felt like I had taken a swig of hot sauce and it got worse from there.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Harris said,
  • "Solani Silver Flake lists red virginia's as a component and for some reason I can tolerate that one."
I'm glad you picked-up on that, and I'm pretty sure there's another blend with, IMO, red and stoved Va: Capstan Blue.

As I mentioned in the thread regarding Capstan, the flavors are so well wedded that it's hard to parse out any individual leaf, but I've gotta believe my taste buds on that one. I did a side-by-side comparison this AM with Blue & Gold, and I'll bet that reds make most of the difference.
BTW, I am blessed with a total insensitivity to reds and tongue bite in general. I devour young, sharp Mac Baren Va's with impunity.

Now, PG is another matter entirely.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cortez, so you think it is red virginia that gives Capstan Blue it's unique flavor. I never thought of that, it does make sense because it is unlike my gold virginia forward flakes like F&T CVP, Dunhill Flake, Wessex Gold, Rotary Navy Cut. Is there a description somewhere that lists red virginia? The amount of red must be small because I get no bite what so ever.
I get a huge difference from the Blue and Gold Capstan with the amount of citrus flavors in the Gold. I get more citrus from that blend than any other I have tried.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only descriptions I have found for Blue merely claim "Virginias". This is my guess, and I'd be curious to know for sure.

I think I sense a trace of Perique too. I think it had both red and stoved black Va because it creates the same backbone that

I found in NYPC's Bowling Green. A second guess would be some Kentucky. Maybe Judd can weigh in. He's got a pretty good sniffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.