PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I got this today at a local antique store.
I cannot determine the maker on this pipe. Can anyone help?
Is it a version of a Kaywoodie?
The only markings are on the left shank and reads: Aged Imported Briar in a handwriting like script.
No other markings.
The stem appears to be Vulcanite, and it is a screw in, and has been deflowered of its stinger.
Because it is a screw in stem I don't think this is a Frankenpipe.
The stem has a single red dot on the left side.
The red dot appears to be inserted in a metal ring.
I see there are a few makers listed on pipedia with red dot but I am not sure how to determine which of these are my pipes maker. http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dots/do-1dotred.html The red dot appears to be most similar to Portland, Premier, or Ser Jacopo.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The red dot looks closest to the Reiss-Premier pipe which was made by Kaufman Brothers. At least that's my best uneducated guess. Nice looking pipe though.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Kaufman_Brothers_%26_Bondy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The "Aged Imported Briar" stamp suggests this is made in the U.S. The screw-in stem is typical of

Kaywoodie and perhaps Jobey which was made for a few years in the U.S. However the design and

shape of this pipe is not Jobey-like. I don't know Reiss-Premier, but if it is a U.S. outfit, that could

be it. If I understand correctly, the "imported briar" stamp was typical of U.S. pipes at a certain period

when other woods were being used for pipe bowls and there was some misgiving about some of the

woods used. This was a reassurance that the pipe was good quality and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.