PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just opened a 1/2 full jar quite dry - bought those metal disks to reconstitute the tobacco - will use cooled distilled water -

i guess i just put the moist disk in the jar until the tobacco is remoistened as i would like it -
any other rocket science that i missed ?
i jar all my tobacco -i guess i am not smoking the tobacco fast enough so it dries out so now must watch & place some disks in the jars when about 1/3 empty.

like my tobacco somewhat moist compared to some who like it like crispy critters.
well here in canada the only place left to smoke is when walking on the sidewalk -

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have used the GL Pease method in the past and it has worked quite well. Put the tobacco on a shallow bowl and put a wet, but not dripping towel over the top go the bowl, hanging, but not touching the tobacco.
He recommends distilled water, but I have used tap water over a tin in the past.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I guess the first question is what kind of tobacco (tinned, bulk, pouches, etc) are you jarring, and secondly, what kind of jars are you using? Is the tobacco going in dry to start with, do you have a really good seal on the jars, do you constantly open them? All of these things will have an impact on your tobacco. The disks will generally rehydrate your tobacco (as long as the jar has a good seal) within two weeks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:laughat:
mcitinner1.jpg

mcitinner1​

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've actually found that breathing into the jar until it fogs up and then closing it works good, you keep doing it everyday until the desired moisture is achieved. I've actually over moistened tobacco in a few days using this method. It's my preferred method now.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
What I do is take a damp piece of sponge on a piece of plastic. Put in the jar, seal the jar, and place it on a windowsill exposed to sunlight. The condensation will create a humid environment in the jar, and the tobacco will re-humdify quickly. I'll then transfer the contents to a new dry jar to avoid mold. This method is quick, but you'll want to keep an eye on it to make sure things don't get too moist in there 8O

corncob23

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I have to agree a damp towel does the trick for dry tobaccos. I also find that once tobacco is dry and revived as i like to say, it loses its flavor. So adding some flavors (if you like aromatics) is a must. Brandys or ryes work well with a touch of honey. Allow to sit with the a damp towel in a bowl over the tobacco for atleast a 2 weeks or longer. Every day pop and check and check if its dry (whitch most likely it will be) if it is...throw towel away and dampen a new one. Shake every 3 days.
It will become a very moist tobacco if done right so allow the blend to sit in an open container for a week. Its pretty nice smoke. Drying cheap tobacco brands, it takes away the chemical and syrup sweetener that off puting. At that dry state you have just the blend giving you the chance to create your own flavored tobacco give it a try and give feed back on your creations

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
the tobacco is moist enough when first jarred from a tin & i am careful upon sealing tightly with about 1/4" space ,,,but i do regularly open it to smoke - the tobacco is good until it reaches about 1/2 then i guess there is too much air even when closed tightly with no obstruction to create a poor seal.

seems some tobacco dries faster than others - my burley seems to dry out faster

since i have them will use the coins for a week or so
thanks for responses

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most tinned tobacco is overly moist to begin with. To prevent getting below your preferred level, take out a few days worth, and then seal up the remainder, packed tightly in a jar with a good seal, or in thick plastic bags doubled bagged.
Also, it's appreciated to use capitalization for proper names and at the beginning of sentences.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I have been using those disks also, I have had good results with them so far. I place the disk in a "cup" of tinfoil and then place it in the jar.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I have been using a mason jar with a paper towel in the lid.

Pour water on the paper towel twice a day and turn the tobacco at the same time.

The tobacco has been in the jar for a little over a week now and I can feel it is moistening up.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.