PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Hi guys,
I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend! I'm still a newbie with the pipe and have received some outstanding pipe and non-aro tobacco recommendations on this forum. Thanks to you guys I've been able to find some great stuff in short time!
Now I'm interested in trying out some aromatics. I ordered the sampler pack from P&C the other day and am looking forward to trying them out. For those of you into aromatics, what are your favorites and which ones do you avoid at all costs?
Thanks!

John

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
For a really mild and gently sweet aromatic note of vanilla and chocolate try Gawith Hoggarth American Delite Pipe Tobacco.
I am a newbie too and enjoy aromatics, this is a cool, everyday baccy!

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
It looks like that sampler will put you well on your way. However, some of my favorite aromatic blends come from Boswell's Tobacco - I recommend looking at what they have to offer. My personal all-time favorite aromatic is MacBaren's Mixture Scottish, though it seems to give some smokers tongue bite.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Five recommendations:
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake
Pipeworks & Wilke No.191
Savinelli Cavendish
C&D Autumn Evening
Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake
Each of these will provide flavor without goop.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take jimink's word for it, the most posted man on What Are You Smoking, Edward G. Robinson.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Go to tobaccoreviews.com. Search for aromatice with at least 40 reviews. Sort by average rating. You'll notice Boswell's has 5 of the top 9. Then go to Boswell's website and order their sampler pack.
And oh yes - order some Sutliff Tobacco Molto Dolce. Highest ranking aromatic with over 100 reviews. That many people can't be far off.
And yes - I've smoked all of the above. Some were nice. Some were great. But you'll surely find a couple of your instant favorites among that batch.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Can't go wrong with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake, but my number one, with out a doubt, all time favorite, hands down is Mac Baren Cube Silver!

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I think you've got to try Lane 1Q. Partly because there's a pretty good chance you'll like it, but mostly because everyone knows it and it will give you a key vocabulary word for talking about other aros. If you try it and want something sweeter or less goopy or more full-bodied or fruity, etc. than 1Q, you'll be able to describe what you're looking for in relation to 1Q and be able to get good suggestions. It's a good smoke, but it's an even better baseline for talking about aros in general.
And if you don't see it at your local brick and mortar store, ask. They probably have it under another name. One more recommendation for exploring aros; sample in the smallest amounts you can buy and try a lot of different blends. You can always go back for more, and you may find that taste buds change even just from the first to the last of an ounce or two.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Man, there's so many and I haven't come close to trying them all but of those I have tried I can recommend 3 without hesitation:
Lane 1-Q

C&D Autumn Evening

Sutliff Barbados Plantation

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Pretty much all aro's are cheap low-rate tobacco with a ton of perfumery dumped on it. Aside from the taste and smell of the topping, they're like smoking air. Really really HOT air usually.
One shining exception is Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 flake. It's a rock-solid blend of burley, Va and a bit of black cavendish. If ever there was a "naturally aromatic" blend, this is it. Pack it loose, it expands when lit, then it burns cool and slow. The only aro I would consider smoking, and once you do you'll gag on all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.