PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
So I think I figured out I'm really liking English tobaccos the best, I so far have really enjoyed GL Pease Odyssey and Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, although I think there's a tad more flavor in the Odyssey...I've also really liked Ruins of Isangaard and I thought Irish Flake was good too, Nightcap as well.
I don't like the Virginias very much because they remind me, and make me smell, too much like cigarettes...I guess my question is where to go for more flavor/spice/earthy/(orientals?) considering my favorites above are the Ruins and Odyssey; interested to hear any thoughts or suggestions, thanks in advance!

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
The Dunhill line is currently made by Kohlhase & Kopp of Germany, and they're doing a better job than the Danes. Try My Mixture 965 and London Mixture - both are medium range English blends. Greg Pease's Westminster is probably the best darn thing on the planet, and his Lagonda and Quiet Nights are pretty terrific too. Many of the Germain products are well worth experimenting with also, particularly the Latakia mixture (purple label).

Rattrays (also made by Kohlhase & Kopp) have Red Rapparee, Black Mallory, Accountant's Mixture, and a few others in the medium-full Latakia content range. Definitely worth trying.
Whatever you do, keep notes. Copious notes.

For more about Greg Pease's stuff, please see this blog post: "world pease...", and bear in mind that it represents no more than my own impressions. Yours will probably be different, but I hope it helps discover his range a bit.

Note that the clickable label named 'Tobacco Index' at the bottom of that post goes to an index of all posts relating to pipes and tobacco. I'm afraid I'm rather much the club bore.
Regards,

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Great thanks! I'll try and read up on some of those, that Black Mallory and Westminster sound great in particular... :puffpipe:

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Ah, my favorites list is getting longer and longer....thanks! I'll give the MM965 a shot too.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
MM 965, Nightcap, and Early Morning Pipe are my favorite Dunhill blends. Davidoff makes some pretty good ones too. Frog Morton On the Bayou, while maybe not a traditional "English" blend (but it is, really) is awesome. Hearth and Home makes some good ones, and so does Sutliff Private Stock.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
instymp - re :"What is the difference between MM965 & 965? ", although C&D's Tuggle Hall is numbered "#965" and Altadis at P&C has the "Match 965", most folks are just using the term "965" as shorthand for My Mixture 965 (MM965) in one of several iterations from Dunhill.
hp

les

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Peterson's Irish Flake IS stronger. Yes, it has Virginia, but another other key component is fire-cured Kentucky, which knocks the 'oomph' level up a bit. Smoked fast and carelessly it can knock your socks off.
The tin blurb says this: "a full bodied blend made of equal proportions air-cured, flue-cured, and dark-fired." Ergo burley (air-cured), Virginia (flue-cured), and if not fire-cured Kentucky, something remarkably similar.
This only smells like cigarettes if your cigarettes were government issue fags issued in a Russian slave-labour coal mine...... to mask the smell of coal dust on the unwashed bodies of your comrades.
They had it good, those Russians.

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, I didn't think the IF was too bad, I'm not saying that I don't like VAs, I think they're fine, but if my wife is going to let me keep smoking A pipe I can't come in smelling like I just smoked a camel, for some reason the heaviest englishes, which stink in the can and in the "room" don't seem to make me or my breath smell too bad, and I enjoy the complex flavors. These are just my obs, and I've just started with a pipe this year so I can't really comment beyond my own tastes

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 to the Morton's.
I also also absolutely recommend Balkan blends such as H&H's Blackhouse and H&H's Magnum Opus.

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Can you describe Balkans for me a little more, like how they differ from English, I've heard that a lot...thanks

Jul 12, 2011
Mmm~English/Balkan blends;
Penzance

MC's/ All the froggies

MC's Bombay Extra

C&D's Star of the East Flake

Low Country's Cooper

C&D's Billy Budd

Dunhill's Nightcap, EMP and London

H&H Blackhouse, Mag Opus, Larry's blend

GL Pease's Odyssey

SG's SL

SPC's Plum Pudding & Seattle Evening

NYPC's Hell's Kitchen
could go on&on&....well....taste the rainbow ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.