Recommend a quality good 1st aromatic please!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

downr4nge

Lurker
May 22, 2016
Hello all, I'm new to pipe tobacco smoking. Like many others, I always loved the smell of my grandfather's pipe smoke. So I decided to give it a go. So far so good, I like it. I started with a $7 corn cob pipe with some Admiral's Choice cherry cevandish. I soon bought two basket pipes, one Capri *made in Italy* and the other is unknown. I've also took a liking to Captain Black's Good, and Cherry pouch tobacco. I smoke slow enough now as to where I don't get tongue bite. I am looking to purchase a quality Savinelli pipe and a good quality aromatic. What aromatics do you all recommend that's great quality?
It may be worth to note that I enjoy smoked half and half pipe tobacco and it was horrible; I might have well been smoking cigarettes as it smelled just like cigarettes. I don't want to smoke anything that smells like cigarettes.
Does my mixture 965 smell like cigarettes?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, Dunhill 965 doesn't taste or smell anything like cigarettes, so you are safe there. As far as an aromatic to try...many people like MacBaren Vanilla Cream and even though I cannot recommend it, many also like Cult Blood Red Moon, which is a cherry aromatic. Since you are new to the pipe, I would also recommend that you try a blend called Frog Morton, it is a kind of crossover between aromatics and English tobaccos and it has a very large following.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I can't recommend an aro because I haven't found one I like.. :?
But I do recommend getting on one of the various pipe tobacco sites and ordering a few dozen 1 ounce samples of various tobaccos to try. Unless something changes, come August you will not be able to buy them ( repackaged tobacco) anymore. This would be a rather low cost way to sample a lot of tobacco.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I too started smoking a pipe many years ago because I really liked the aroma when my grandfather smoked his pipe. I started with aromatic blends & still really love 'em. I'm also a big fan of Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs. For the cost of a single decent briar like a Savinelli, you can get quite a number of cobs for sampling new tobaccos.
The list of great aromatic pipe tobaccos is a long one but based on your original post I'd suggest trying Lane Ltd. 1-Q, RLP-6, MV-1000, & LL-7 - some of these are said to be Captain Black blends with less humectant.
I personally really like aromatics from smaller blenders like Uhle's, Milan Tobacconists, Boswell, Peretti, 4noggins, and Pipeworks & Wilke (vtpipes.com). All make very high quality blends that are really tasty. Browse their websites & check out reviews of their blends on tobaccoreviews.com, then order samples of blends that sound good to you.
Most of all, have fun trying new pipe tobaccos!

May 4, 2015
Unless something changes, come August you will not be able to buy them ( repackaged tobacco) anymore.
I think this is incorrect. Nothing actually need be "removed" for two years. I think warning label requirements go in to effect in 12 months from August, but nothing actually happens in August except no new blends without approval. Everything out now has minimum two years of life left.
I'm not trying to be pedantic, but what you're implying is no bulk tobacco sales starting August, and I'm pretty sure that's not right.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Peterson makes some good ones. Connoisseur's Choice is one I've enjoyed in the past.
A little harder to find, but easy enough, are the PIpeworks and Wilke aromatics.

http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html
I highly recommend the Vermont Maple Cavendish and Wilke No 191 (a Vanilla/honey cavendish blend).

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Everything out now has minimum two years of life left
You are correct.. 2 years. I used the August timeline because that is when the majority of regs take effect (barring injunctions). Better safe than sorry. Keep in mind too that as the timeline diminishes between now and 2 years from now it will be near impossible to buy loose tobacco due to all the hoarding and producers changing their business strategy.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hi mate and welcome. So, it all depends on what you can find around you.. For aromatics, it's mostly a like or hate relationship. so, I recommend the cheaper types first.. Good choice on Captain Black, you can never go wrong with these. Also, I have to recommend two - sort of - OTC (over the counter) blends that I find quite pleasant.. One is the Erinmore Mixture, and if you can find it in Flake then you're lucky.. and the other is Amphora Red Full Aroma. Both are beautiful aromatics with a nice burn, cool smoke and they are affordable.. You can move up then to more premium ones like the Frog Morton and Peterson,... I'd also recommend Dunhill Royal Yacht.. Which isn't necessarily an aromatic, but it has a beautiful plum aroma to it and if packed well, it has a sweet taste towards the bottom of the bowl.. Happy smokes, mate

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic are two good ones that smoke great in a cob. You also may want to check out JM Boswell's site for some great blends.

http://boswellpipes.com/tobacco/boswell-blends/boswell-aromatic-blends/

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
What? No Molto Dolce recomendations? Don't you guys listen to the Pipe Magazine Radio Show podcast?
Seriously though, I like all of the Hunter Series from Nording - especially the Labrador and the Retriever.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Irish flake has a very slight anise taste. Germain's plumcake is flavored with red wine. Yep, that's all I've got.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Thomas Radford's Sunday's Fantasy.

You can like it or not, but just open the envelope and sniff: it is worth the money.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Let me add East India Trading Co's (p&c) 3 aromatics... of the 3, I REALLY like Cellar Reserve... rummy but also with a pinch of perique. Cherry-wise, Cult BLood Red Moon, Lane Dark Red as mentioned already, and GH Top Black Cherry. Scotty's blend "Trout Stream" - butterscotch. Dan Blue Note. And Peterson's St Patrick's Day 2015 now Founder's Choice, I believe. These all are favorites of mine when I wax aromatic!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You need to try something that tastes like what it smells like. I spent a lot of years hunting down some good aromatics and the truth is, there really aren't many out there. Here's what I've found:
Dan Tobacco - Blue Note

Sillem's Black

Reiner - Professional Mixture (very sweet, so I rarely smoke it but it's a nice treat.)
Autumn Evening by Cornell & Diehl is okay but it looses it's flavor after 4 or 5 puffs. Molto Dolce? ya may as well start vaping!
Edit* How could I forget? Cult - Blood Red Moon is by far the best aromatic I have ever smoked! Very good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.