PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
I'm sure this has been done before since pipe smokers tend to read but...try to limit it to two.

I will start,
Death in the Long Grass - A big game hunter's adventures in the African Bush - Peter Hathaway Capstick

The Spirit of St. Louis - Charles Lindbergh
Sorry Admin- forgot to post in General Discussion.
*EDIT* - and I moved it! Enjoy! -Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Making of a Serial Killer by Danny Rolling. It's a book about the Gainsville Ripper, written BY the Gainesville Ripper. It will keep you up at night.
Dead Men Do Tell Tales by William R. Maples. It's a book on forensic Anthropology by the guy who started the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Too hard a topic for me,
favorite fiction: Pillars of the Earth
Nonfiction is too hard, I read too much, maybe Universe in a Single Atom by the Dali Lama, thats had a big impact on the way I think

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Right now I'd highly reccommend the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. I started the first book, A Game of Thrones, a few weeks ago. It's a wonderful and pretty fast read. I'm just about half way through it now. Definately reccommend it if you're into Hobbit and Lord of the Rings type books.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
If you've never read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, you should give Wizard's First Rule a read. If you like the fantasy genre. Very intelligently written and a great tale.
The audiobook for it is excellent too.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Dreadnought by Robert Massie. Tells of the arms race that lead to WW1.

Paris 1919, Six Months that changed the World by Margaret Machmillan. The peace treaty of WW1.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The Aubrey/Maturin Series By Patrick O'Brian and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
-Jason

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Chesapeake by James Michener
The Day of the Jackel by Frederick Forsyth

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
"Comanches; The History of a People" by T.R. Fehrenbach. History so well told that it reads like a novel, but better than any fiction imagined. Its the story of hardscrabble warriors barely surviving in marginal lands of the Rocky mountains. They stole enough horses from the Spanish to sweep down on the Great Plains like Ghengis Khan, driving out entire tribes in their wake, utterly destroying others. They lived and died for battle, and fought to the last, marching into history as some of the last holdouts of stone age culture in North America.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I don't think I could pick just two favourite books, however Charles, lordofthepiperings, and jpchaplick did mention some of my favourites.
I suppose I would have to suggest the "Dream of Eagles" series (and companion books), by Kelowna, B.C. author Jack Whyte. He spins the familiar Arthurian legends, however from a scientific standpoint, starting with the collapse of the Roman empire and spanning two odd centuries. Amazingly well written.
I would then have to toss out Ken Follets latest yarn, The Rise of Giants. His best work since Pillars by far IMHO; it is the first book in a trilogy he is writing to chronicle the 20th century.
I would then have to wonder why no-one has mentioned the hallowed tome of Holmes.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
How about all of the Sherlock Holms stories. Any other good action/mystery.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Treat yourself to read Michael Connelly with Harry Bosh. Connelly has written about 8 to 10 books featuring detective Harry Bosh and he (Connelly) is at the top of his game. It is hard to put these books down wants to get into them which takes about 10 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.