PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
After listening to the Chris Tarler interview in the latest podcast, I realized that I've never tried a Cornell & Diehl blend.
I tend to think of them as primarily aromatics (which I don't typically smoke), so I was shocked to hear Chris put the percentage of aromatics-to-English at around 15%. So maybe there's more there than I've realized. Two things have held me back from exploring C&D's offerings, though. I've been put off by the tin art, which is too cartoonish for my taste. I've also noticed that C&D blends tend toward burley as a base tobacco rather than Virginia, which is my preference. (I enjoy burley, but in fairly modest doses.)
I do have some C&D in my cellar. I currently have 6 tins of Star of the East Flake and a pound of Yale Mixture (both purchased based on reviews and their descriptions). I also have one tin each of DaVinci and Black Frigate (which I got in a trade). I haven't tried any of these blends yet.
So I'm looking for recommendations for English/Balkan blends that have no additional flavorings, no perique, and aren't nicotine-heavy (which might be tough with burley-based mixtures). If there's anything C&D makes that fits the bill -- and I don't already have it -- I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am nto a big smoker of C&D English blends, myself, but Star of the East is a good one, either in the tinned flake or the bulk ribbon. I have also enjoyed Bridge Mixture on a couple of occasions.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, Jud. Unfortunately, Bridge Mixture contains perique and, judging from the reviews, a fairly good nicotine hit. Both of which I avoid.
Oh, I just remembered that I have tried one C&D blend: Autumn Evening. I rarely smoke aromatics, but it was so heavily recommended, I thought I should give it a try. Didn't do anything for me. . .
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hm. Don't remember the nic hit being that strong, but it has been a while since I smoked it. Forgot about the perique. Star of the East is probably your best bet, then.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Don't remember the nic hit being that strong, but it has been a while since I smoked it.
Well, I may have a fairly low tolerance for nicotine too! I just hate the heart-racing, head-pounding effects I get from it. (Which is why I've still got a half-pound of Stonehaven in the cellar after five years: I'm afraid to try it!) :)
Bob

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
For me, hands down it's Tuskegee Airman.
Edit: Oops! I got ahead of myself and forgot that you mentioned blends with no perique, so that kinda puts the kibosh on Tuskegee Airman. I would still try it though!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It's not that I don't like perique; I think it can add amazing richness and depth to a blend. But I have a terrible allergic reaction to it, as if I suddenly have a mouth full of needles. It's literally painful to smoke for me.
Bob

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Some of my favorite english blends are from C&D.
Montford Point Marine is amazing if you can stomach the strength. Very very robust blend with a lot going on.
daVinci is one of my go to blends when I want a cool burning quality latakia. It's 75% latakia so it's very straight forward but I find it to be one of the best examples of that style of blend.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I actually enjoy a quite a few C&D blends... they do use Perique in allot of their blends though.

The following list are some blends that I have tried and enjoyed. I believe they do not include Perique, but I would make sure if I were you.

Some of them are also a bit high in Nic, which for me I enjoy, so again I would read up a bit on them.
London Squire

Star of the East

Purple Cow

Black Duck

Billy Bud

Black Frigate
Again these are just a few that I have tried and do recommend... of course MY favorites all seem to have Perique in them :lol:

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I've had 3. Pirate Kake, Billy Budd and Constellation. Constellation is easily my favorite tobacco lately but I had Pirate Kake last night for the first time in a while and REALLY enjoyed it.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ten Russians and Byzantium are both good. I don't think the Byzantium has any Perique in it. Pirate Kake is a definite Lat bomb but not full bodied. As others have mentioned Star of the East is really good, especially the flake version.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Crooked Lane, Crowley's Best, Epiphany and Billy Budd are in my rotation along with about 10 other C&D blends. I'm a huge fan of their stuff. On the aro side I like Autumn Evening and Gentleman Caller.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Re: Ten Russians
That's Hermit Tobacco,though, not C&D.
Hermit's blends are manufactured by C&D, so you can sort-of count that. Or can't you?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Give them a call 800-433-0080 and discuss what you like / don't like. They have 5 Blend Trial Pack: $35 8 Blend Trial Pack: $43 according to their website. Better yet, go to a pipe show and they will have many, many, many of their blends out for sampling and purchase.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.