PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I recently acquired a couple of cheap pipes from ebay they are really nothing special just an older John Middleton billiard and a Wally Frank Churcwarden. I am in the process of cleaning them up now so no pics yet.

The thing that led me to purchase them was their known history.

I have often wondered who may have owned/smoked the older estate pipes that I enjoy so much.

It just so happened that the ebay seller provided information that these two pipes were previously owned by a 1923 Dartmouth Grad, WWII officer and Pennsylvania doctor. I have never had any background information on my pipes but I thought it was interesting and I will be looking for this type of info in the future.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Hey Law-

I bought one of the Dunhills from that same batch. I too thought it was interesting, knowing the background of the pipes. Also like the fact that these were most likely purchased new by Dr. Taylor, they haven't been through a lot of owners. I had my eye on that churchwarden, never seen one quite like it. I'm happy with the Dunny I got, I don't think I'll "restore" it, just give it a good cleaning and smoke it. Wow- if that pipe could talk!! (I got the 1923 billiard).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I was interested in that group as well, mainly for the Dartmouth BBB, which was stamped "Made in USA" on the shank, while the band was stamped "BBB," but had faux hallmarks. I never knew that BBB pipes were ever "Made in USA," but there it was.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Pitch-

That one was interesting. I'm not very versed at figuring out hallmarks, but those did look odd. Those college insignia pipes were neat. Perhaps the BBB pipes were shipped here as blanks, and the different schools had them modified?, for Graduation gifts and whatnot?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
beefeater, that's what I would guess. BBB at that time had a massive, global distribution network, so anything's possible. But the college pipes were very popular -- I've come across several ads from American tobacco shops advertising them and I guess it would make a lot more sense to have them done in the U.S. rather than shipping them over. I'll have to keep my open when other college pipes come up for sale and see how they're marked.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
beef you lucky duck! Congrats those Dunhills were all very nice.

I bid on the military mount billiard but it just went too high for me.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Law-

Yea, that military mount was sweet, but damn, way too much $$!!

Truth be told, I probably paid too much for mine, but 1923 Dunnies don't come around everyday, and a man has to have a few vices! HA!!

Funny you posted this thread, as I was sitting here looking at the pipe when you posted.......

Have you smoked yours yet?

papieguy-- Indeed, its rare to get an estate with that provenance, this old guy graduated college in 1923, and my pipe was a '23--makes me think it was a gift for himself, and a well-deserved one!

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
beef just sent you a message with a little more info I got from the ebay seller.

I just finished smoking the churchwarden. Smoked good for just being cleaned. I am still working on the billiard.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My pipes are fairly modern but I enjoy knowing a pipes history. For the most part eBay is fairly anonymous but I usually ask and have occasionally got some information. Pipes shows are better and some of my pipes I know every detail from when/where the pipe was bought new, who has owned it and interesting details of trades and collection it been part of. I was selecting pipes for the WCPS today and was looking at pieces that have been in some great collections over the years. 8O

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Wow! Sable-- Thats so cool. Those pipes are priceless, and I haven't even seen them. I enjoy the relics, when their past is known. It adds so much to the experience. Just curious, what are the Dunnies? Straight, bent, shells, rootbriars? any chance for pics?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@ beefeater - I Haven't looked at those Dunhills in quite a while, but as I recall, they were bents and small, probably 3's, and were bruyeres. One was a Dublin. Hitchcock was an immaculate film maker, but as a pipe owner he was a slob. I don't know if he ever reamed his pipes. It took quite a bit of work to restore them. One needs a stem replacement, and once I get that done I'll photograph them and put them up. But visually there's nothing special, they're just Dunnies. The two Charatans I'd smoked for many years and they're really solid pipes with very nice grain. Once I started smoking Barlings, I kinda lost interest in the other pipes. I really should start using them again. They were very nice pipes.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've always thought bringing an old pipe back to life is much more interesting than buying a new one. Alas, sometimes I see a new pipe I can't live without.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
The BBB caught my eye also. But went for big money. There was also one of douglas Baders pipe sold on e bay recently now if that was legit that would have some stories.

May 31, 2012
The Wally Frank White Bar pipes are very good too.
Prior to WW2,

there was a WDC/BBB connection,

as seen with the advertisement that Buroak posted in this thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wdc-estate-fraternity-pipe-phi-kappa-alpha

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
Ebay links please to the pipes from the estate the op is talking about.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.