Recent revelations in my blend sampling and a Burley breakthrough.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Some recent observations with my continuing sampling of new blends, since my attempts to slow the train have been futile.
Irish Flake - Is not for me, score another one for the Burley demons. I tried a good four or five time and even though I got it to smoke quite well, the flavor just isn't appealing to my taste buds. Sadly, I love the tin note but I'm glad I only picked up one tin.
Stonehaven - A big thanks to rsuninv for sending me some of this. The first time I smoked this blend the Burley did not agree with me. The flavor was nice but the Burley would creep in and kind of ruin it for me. While I am not sure why, follow up bowls struck just the right balance and I really got to appreciate this flake. Like Penzance, I would say that it is more about harmony and understatement than being a flavor bomb. A very smooth English style VaBur and I got some wine, chocolate, slight spice and the VA goodness coming through here and there. The way the tobaccos marry really allows me to enjoy the overall flavor without suffering through the Burley. I can certainly see why folks like this one. I should note that the appearance of the flake is impressive. Thin and oily until dried out a bit, Esoterica seems to do everything with a bit of refinement and class. I've heard VaBur's when they age tend to see mellowing of the VA first bringing the Burley more to the front. If that is true then I don't know how aged SH will sit with me but if the flavors stay or marry more in that time, I can imaging I would continue to like it.
Mississippi River - Another killer blend from SPC. Lat, Orientals and Perique all come to the front at times but also play well together. The VA is present but not prominent and seems to smooth the overall flavor. Great tin note for those that like the smell of English blends. Buy it, smoke it and if you don't like it I'm sure it will be easy to trade.
McCranie's Red Ribbon 2008 - A unique (in my experience at least) and delightful red Virginia. The tobacco is sanguine with specks of lighter and darker sparsely mixed in and the ribbons resemble perfect, tight wound springs. The flavor is bold but not in the sense some may think. It comes through as a clean and refreshing Virginia taste but surprising complexity exists within that flavor profile. I was a bit shocked but in a most pleasant way. I can't compare with other vintages but it's well worth purchasing if you like Virginias and McCranie's is a pleasure to do business with. Thanks to cosmicfolklore for the suggestion.
Makhuwa - It happened! This is a Burley that I can not only stand but am starting to love. Opening the tin, I was sure that I was doomed. It smelled like chocolate egg cream and nuttiness; I could already imagine myself disliking it due to Burley. Boy was I wrong! It's everything good about Burley without the soil or cigar notes that usually turn me off. Creamy is a great descriptor for this blend, the perique is held well in check and overall flavor profile is unique or at least, I have never smoked anything quite like it. I need to smoke more but the first three bowls have surprised and excited me.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
What is Makhuwa?
Foundation by Musico tobacco line by Hu Tobacco makes Makhuwa. "a good and medium-strong Burley blend. Strong and chocolaty Malawi Burley forms the basis for this blend, mixed with a little Red Virginia, Louisiana Perique and a Virginia/White Burley cube cut. Wonderfully spicy, sweet and slightly nutty nuances in taste are characteristics of the Makhuwa." It sounds like a typical Burley blend but, for me at least, the flavor is different than what I am used to getting from such blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.