PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Tell you something which made me laught ,just recently I have gotten two exactly similar Peterson pipes from their Aran serie, both brand new, both have same model number and overall I'm satisfied with average good quality and craftmanship on them but had noticed some differencies between them two,for instance,another one has a thicker shank and 1 cm shorter stem while the other one has the sleeker appearence having longer stem + thinner shank,both have the same capacity bowl size but the stain color and grain on the bowl surface differ significantly from each other this led me to thoughts if Peterson basic models shapes do differ a bit from year to year, I was noticing this to occure with contemporary Petersons yet before, mostly it was with stem lenght and shank diameter

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
To eliminate flaws many pipe makers set a standard and then allow a +/- tolerance. I can't speak for all of their lines but Peterson's pipes can show a significant difference between individual bulldogs even within the same style number. I suspect it is a cost containment measure. The more rejected stummels the the higher the net production cost. Peterson shapes are as a rule very distinctive so I'm not sure they want to sell off rejects to others. Peterson has of course modified its shapes over the years but these observations are of pipes in current production. It's particularly obvious in #150 Bulldogs.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr Gloucesterman, Thank for bringing this information to my knowledge, I have also this 150 bullog,no complans other I'm not too crazy about P lip, whereas these two were their model of 15 ,pretty amazing looking sleek straight billiar with medium bowl size.Very versatile model,can recommed to anyone,now I'm coming to conclusion it might be advisable to inspect any medium priced Peterson in person prior to buying any, but obiously to execute this personal inspection'is not always possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.