PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’ve been shopping estates and keep finding botched reaming jobs. As I understand when done properly with a senior reamer or even a Butner style reamer it should not overbore the bowl or drill it out of round. I’ve done it flawlessly both ways.
Are people doing reams with power tools? I’ve looked at several pipes where they were overbored and out of round, you could feel where the new drilling introducing a new ‘round’ outside of the pipe chamber’s original round (2 diameters with one slightly offset) and see that the top was out of round - thin one side thick on the other. Seems it has to be from a power tool.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I can imagine someone using a drill press or lathe to ream, but I can't imagine why they would. Still, power tool sounds like a good bet if the alterations are that drastic.

This is all you need...

drill.JPG

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Resist the urge to use power tools as a categorical thing. I've lost count of how many divoted chambers I've seen from somebody using a Dremel with one of those little rubber drums with a cylinder of 120 grit over it. :evil:

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Oh, no!!! I love my Foredom, it is a great tool, but that's a terrible idea!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
A while ago I purchased a very nice eBay pipe only to return it due to a tragically reamed bowl. The seller who was not a piper, but a picker, admitted to using a Dremel sanding drum. He was unaware of proper reaming tools, but took my suggestion to not try additional pipe rejuvenations which were not enhancing the value of his goods. Lesson learned for both involved parties.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd only ream by hand and very gently, if I reamed at all. Even hand reaming is the number one way to destroy a smokeable pipe in a hurry. Many a new reamer owner has ruined his entire collection in an hour or two. As a footnote, a minority of Forums members do not ream because they do not build cake. We do this by wiping out the bowl after each smoke with a paper towel or napkin (after scooping out the ash). This maintains a thin carbon layer that does the job but never needs reaming. This has kept my oldest pipes happy for thirty and forty years. I know cake-builders love their cake and enjoy building it and reaming the pipes, but just so you know there's another way. Among other Forums members, erstwhile member Roth was one of the non-reamer pipe smokers.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Hand ream. Take you time. Using power tools will really speed up your screwing up !

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Just to make me earlier clear, for those of you who wish to use a rotary tool, a Senior or other great reaming tool is necessary for the bottom of the bowl which usually should not require much if any of a reaming. I use the rotary tool infrequently as I normally keep the cake in control. And never use such as a matter of routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.