PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Is the procedure the same for reaming a cob as for a briar pipe I wonder?
I recently treated myself to a Mark Twain straight cob and as per my briar pipes I would like to give it a quick few turns with my British Buttner reamer after 15 - 20 smokes but am a little worried about grinding away the inner walls of the actual cob itself.
How do the experts address this issue?
Regards,
Jay.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
No need to ream, just prevent cake formation. After each smoke:

- Loosen any tobacco or ash in the chamber with a Czech tool, pipe nail, or a bristle pipe cleaner bent into a U-shape

- Wipe the chamber with a dry twisted paper towel

I periodically swab the chamber with an alcohol-dipped pipe cleaner bent into a U-shape

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I use a 40 caliber bore brush and have for many years. Works great and doesn't harm the cob one bit. Even my oldest cobs, which go way back, I can see the kernel design inside the bowl.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Even though I do the "paper towel wipe" after every smoke, I still occasionally use my Buttner on my cobs. I use a very light touch, and it's just to knock down any high spots that start forming. It is my understanding that cake is not desirable in a cob, as it could lead to splitting and cracking in the bowl. (Not that I'm a big cake guy anyway- definitely a minimalist in the cake department, regardless of the pipe type.)

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
My cobs take a beating and take it well. My favorites are the Mark Twains. I use a pipe cleaners and whatever "pipe-tool" to keep the cobs clean enough. Not big on reaming any pipe, but to each their own. If I am forced to ream, I much prefer the Cooks reamer.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well of all my reamers the Buttner is the 'gentlest' of the lot. The idea of a brass bristed gun cleaning brush appeals but they are a bit hard to find here in gunless England :?
That said I reckon I should find one that is designed for a more mundane purpose...in the meantime bristled pipe cleaners will have to do as I want my cob to last me a while.
Thanks for the tips chaps :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Aldecaker, it is on my list for when I put a tobacco order in with Mysmokingshop.com.
Looking forward to it as I'm rather enjoying this one though to be honest I need another pipe like I need a hole in my head :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's true enough for myself as well! I console myself with the notion that cobs are so inexpensive, and smoke so, so well. :oops:

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@ray47: great idea. I may try a 20 GA or 12 GA bore nylon brush. I smoke mostly MM Generals & need a larger caliber brush. Nylon bore brushes should work well on briar as well, but not sure if they would be too aggressive on meershaum or morta bowls.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@cossackjack, I've used the 20GA & 12GA brushes but found them too big. The 40 cal brushes seem to work better. Don't use them on briar or meerschaums because they could cause damage. On briars & meers I use a folded pipe cleaner.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No need to ream, just prevent cake formation. After each smoke:

- Loosen any tobacco or ash in the chamber with a Czech tool, pipe nail, or a bristle pipe cleaner bent into a U-shape
^^^ I agree with this ... no need for building cake in cobs, IMHO.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I just gently scrape with a fairly dull pipe knife when I get a bit of build-up

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cossackjack's first post on this thread describes an excellent method for preventing cake and maintaining a carbon layer on both cob and briar pipes, and avoiding reaming or owning a reamer (unless you buy estate pipes that have cake and need reaming). My oldest pipes, 30 or nearly 40 years old, have been treated this way and still look and smoke great. Nothing wrong with reaming, but an amateur can ruin a collection of pipes in about two hours by "reaming them out real well."

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have only kept one corncob, and I largely used it to smoke random blends for which I can't decide which pipe is best. I don't prevent cake, I smoke it and go. I have gently reamed it recently when I discovered it had narrowed a bit, and it was completely fine. Not condoning the activity, just letting you know that it has worked when I have not maintained a cob they way that I 'should.'

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Jay I also try to stop cake build up in my MM General. As far as I know cake can stop the cob breathing. And you don't want the death of a cob on your hands.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"And you don't want the death of a cob on your hands."
Indeed I don't Dave, I've only had the bugger five minutes :wink:
On the subject of cobs (sort of vaguely) I just found a lump of 'Cob Plug' I had totally forgotten I had bought! Just cut some up for later smoking and will say it does smell a bit funny :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.