PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I picked up a nice 40s era (or maybe 50s) Stanwell Zulu estate pipe (my first estate). It is such a nice smoke!! I discovered the English-Aromatic transition blends work well in it. I liked the Stanwell so much, I got another Pear/Acorn Stanwell estate pipe I wish to dedicate to English blends only.
I usually have bent styles and the Zulu is my closest thing to a straight pipe I have. I plan to pick up a bulldog sometime soon for my first straight style pipe.
Any other Stanwell lovers?
Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Ooooo. Damn. I wished you'd talked to me about those old Zulu's that Stanwell made. They were stained with an alcohol-based stain that contains mercury. Really really bad for you. PM me and I'll send you my address, so you can allow me to properly dispose of it for you.
8O :rofl:
I slay me!
Hey! Don't forget the pics before hobie sees this thread!
-JAson

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I picked up the Zulu for $35.00 and the Acorn for $40.00. Both are vulcanite stems and are wonderful. I will be keeping an eye out for these older Stanwells.
Jason

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Smoking the Acorn now with the SG Commonwealth. What a nice smoke! (Wife's asleep and the window is open)
I will post pics...
Jason

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have several older Stanwell estates bought off Ebay. They all smoke great. I'm definitely a Stan man. Never seen one that wasn't a great smoker. I don't have the Zulu yet, but it's a shape I like. I know you'll enjoy yours.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I also bought a Stanwell based on the comments that I have read from others on the forum.
One of our sponsors:
www.cupojoes.com
carries a nice assortment of Stanwell pipes. I bought one that was 50% off the MSRP.
Doug

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats! I have three Stanwells and they are all great smokers and very well made.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Here is the Stanwell Zulu:
stanwell-zulu-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.