Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Real Petersons or fakes?

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

So this guy has been coming around lately selling estate pipes. At first I trusted him, but as time has gone by, more and more I think he's probably a shady conman. He has three he claims are "genuine Petersons" even though they say "Q-Brand" all over them and look cheap. He claims they are worth 150 dollars each and that Peterson had a line called Q Brand long ago. Online these kinds of pipes sell for like 10 dollars but he's asking 50 a piece. I say he's lying but I want to know for sure so I can call him out on this. He also claims that briar in the 70s and 80s is far higher quality than today because it's endangered and that estate pipes are an excellent investment. Most of his pipes have no engraving markings and he claims they are cheaper because the factory forgot to put them on but I think he sanded them off. I think he's just trying to unload them. I need the advise of those more experienced in this field than I.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot help with the Q Brand, but that shape does not look like anything Peterson would make. There is plenty of good briar available these days, it is not endangered. Also, how would he know if the factory forgot to stamp them?

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That isn't even briar. Tell the guy to f off.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's looking for one of those people Barnum said were born every minute.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I've got 6 in my office. I'll do you a deal

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would make a bunch of jokes but you are new here and won't get the inside jokes. So I'll just say based on the picture you posted that the pipe is not briar, and almost every word which you typed from this guy is false. Older briar can be better, but not from that time period, and due to aging, not because it is endangered. He probably didn't sand anything off, these are garbage that were never stamped in the first place more than likely. Keep your money.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“coming around lately”, as in going door-to-door, like the Watchtower ladies? We never get itinerant pipe peddlers around here very much anymore. They’ve all switched over to selling asphalt and roofing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My reaction completely.

Although, wait!! Maybe they're Dunhills!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seriously ...

Q-Brands are Chinese machine made pipes available in bulk. One might find these in a shop that specializes in vapes and glass pipes. The stems are plastic; the bowl is wood (not otherwise specified, but the grain does not look like briar). They generally run retail under $10; they're available wholesale for less.

I haven't smoked one (they look small and horrible to me, and heavier than one would expect); I'm told that they're not good for smoking anything.

Oh, yeah ... they're not made by Peterson.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love if someone was peddling pipes at my door. Not these, but good ones.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

This reminds me of the guys years ago that cruised the mall parking lots trying to find some sucker to buy their "great" stereo speakers out of the back of their van.

scott
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At least they're not cobs.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a set of cobs that I bought out of some guys van back in the day. The high end was great.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fake!

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember the mall speaker guys! That is so funny.

I had Cerwin Vegas, and they were like, "these are just as good, but we can't hook them up to show you."

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

@wyfbane - the speaker guys always had some story about going to the warehouse to pick up a set of speakers and the warehouse gave them an extra set by mistake.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Years ago I was sitting at my house and a friend gives me a call and excitedly tells me about the speaker set up he just purchased. He then goes on to ask my help setting them up. I agree and head over. We arrived at his house almost at the same time and he excitedly is unloading 4 boxes of speakers. We get them in his house and SHAZAM.....only one box actually had a speaker. The other three boxes were carefully packed (probably weighed to the ounce) with styrofoam and building scraps. Yep, he bought them out of the back of a van, at a gas station. The one speaker "that worked" was just a pulsing pile of shit.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes. Let the buyer beware, indeed. Not to steal too much of Sammy Johns' thunder, but everything that's happened to me involving the back of a van has been pretty great.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was that down by the river?

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, it was in a town that was so small, you could throw a rock from end to end.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. bnichols23

Bill

Login to Send PM

Oh, man. That guy's got so much bull up his butt he's got 2 sets of horns coming out of his mouth. Tell him that a bunch of *real* experts on Peterson's (he doesn't have to know; doesn't *deserve* to, in fact) say he's BS'ing so badly it's probably illegal. You could even tell him a few of them used to work for Peterson & say he's full of crap.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. bnichols23

Bill

Login to Send PM

in a town that was so small, you could throw a rock from end to end.

It's a good thing he won't be passin' through again.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill

Login to Send PM

Damn dupes

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right?

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I agree with everyone, fake. But...if that other guy comes by with the old Dunhill and tins of frog Morton, be sure to let me know right away.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My thoughts exactly, especially seeing the photo. I almost (being a guitar player) want to say that's rosewood, but I'm not sure as I'm used to seeing it flat on a fretboard of a guitar neck and not rounded like a pipe. Regardless if it's that or a petrified turd.... the pipe's probably a turd. The other pipes, unmarked, are probably cheap basket pipes. Tell him to get lost.

Nevermind. Forget that last part. Don't tell him to get lost. You should tell him to join this forum. I'm sure we'd all love a chance to roast this guy here! It could potentially be more epic than any Haja (crazy lighter guy) thread or Starcat (crazy...er... Starcat guy).

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    ">
    Posted 1 month ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the guy did sell me some pipes before I caught on. He's this short Italian older guy from New York in a trench coat who comes into the liquor store where I work. I saw that he was always carrying around cigars and I started talking with him about pipes. I actually know quite a bit about pipe tobacco but not pipes. He said he collected pipes but wanted to let some go and I said I was interested. So he'd come by and sell me some, yes out of the back of his car and I just didn't expect that with his clear passion, friendliness and knowledge of the subject, he'd end up being the shadiest guy I'd ever met. But he does sound and look an awful lot like the Merchant from Resident Evil 4 so that might have been the first red flag. I'd say he scammed me out of about 200 bucks overall. At least I learned from the experience to not be so trusting and flat out tell someone like that that I'm going to wait and do research before actually buying anything. Maybe someday I'll have a real Peterson. I can't wait to confront him with all this credibility next time he comes by. Thanks so much!

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well you live and you learn, Curttuck. The guy's a schmuck.

Maybe someday I'll have a real Peterson. I can't wait to confront him with all this credibility next time he comes by.
    You should be able to find a decent lower cost Peterson from any of our site sponsors. You should get one. And then the next time he tries to sell you a P.O.S. wannabe fake peterson dog turd, you can pull it out of your shirt pocket and say... "Oh look there. I've actually already got a Peterson. A REAL Peterson, as evidenced by the stamping on the REAL briar wood and the little letter P on the stem. Oh what's that you say? A Q pipe? The Q stands for Quack!

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Had a friend come to me bumming about the new watch he had aquired from a guy. £1250 it cost. He was very pleased with himself u til I pointed out that Rolex only had one L .

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. civilwar

civilwar

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums!! Complete fakes, not even briar. Looks like mahogany.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear you were duped by this lowlife, but maybe it's not a total disaster. In this old thread about Q-Brand pipes, the OP was looking to buy another.

I often find the product descriptions of Chinese goods entertaining. I found this particular pipe on a Chinese e-commerce website called sunsky.com. Here's the description. After reading this, I can barely resist buying this gem:

1) Durable and can be used repeatedly for a long time

2) Made of high-quatily special materials. Not contain any harmful objects

3) The rubber ring can prevent smoke and tar from leaking

4) Remove tar while using for about 10 times

5) Replace with an auxiliary rubber ring if damages

6) Material: Solid wood + senior plastic

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. bnichols23

Bill

Login to Send PM

senior plastic

Fall. Over. Laughing.....

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. bnichols23

Bill

Login to Send PM

Right? [:rofl:]

RIGHT!

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And it's got a rubber ring that can prevent leaking!

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

5 star review!

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately the guy did sell me some pipes before I caught on. He's this short Italian older guy from New York in a trench coat who comes into the liquor store where I work.
    I just can't tell when we are being trolled anymore.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone who tells you that any pipe is "an excellent investment" immediately disqualifies themselves to sell you anything and incurs immediate suspicion as a grifter. I don't know how he "comes around," but I'd keep him off your property. PC had a great sale in November selling one series of Petersons in many shapes, usually $95.99 for $65.99. Peterson estates can be had for reasonable prices.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just can't tell when we are being trolled anymore.

+1

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly members who post about fifty times have cleared trolling suspicion, since trolls need quick thrills and lack fortitude mostly. Five posts are beyond most trolls.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the interested:

It could potentially be more epic than any Haja thread

who is Haja?

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

WAIT! Rolex is spelled with only one "L"? Oh man!

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I read the title of this post I though, who the hell would try and sell fake Petersons? Now I know.

Mike S.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It could potentially be more epic than any Haja (crazy lighter guy) thread or Starcat (crazy...er... Starcat guy).
    Nobody tops Starcat. She was the best. Or at least the thread that she spawned was the best. Haja was a troll from Day 1. One of us, I suspect.
    I just can't tell when we are being trolled anymore. [8O]
    I'm having my suspicions.
    That said, a "Q" pipe is, by definition, slightly more advanced than a "P" pipe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

I'm with Crash and Cosmic on this one. Sounds like some-one writing a story-piece.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  45. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well his late son may have owned the pipes and like any good father, his name is probably Peter, would like to sell off some of his late sons pipes so they would, sorta, kinda, be Peters son’s pipes!
    banjo

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice one, Fish! First time seeing a Q-pipe. I use Q-tips several times a week. Wish I could make a joke out of that....

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

No I'm definitely not a troll. I hate trolls. I've looked at these forums for years for info on pipe tobacco. The reason I finally joined and only have one post is because I knew this was the place I could come to get the absolute evidence of my suspicion that the guy is just a total fraud and shove it back in his face without any kind of doubt. I live in Utah and around here we're not used to people just lying to your face. I imagine in general the pipe community is far more interested in the hobby and helping people out with it than just trying to make money lying to people. I feel kind of bad for the guy. Like what a pathetically weak moral compass. It's kind of disturbing when you've never really been exposed to it before.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

And the pipes he actually did sell me weren't Q-Brand. I bought a Butz Choquin, an Ehrlich and two others that I can't identify. The Butz Choquin was 90 and the Ehrlich was 60. The other two were 45. He probably screwed me on all of them, but there were no red flags on the level of the Peterson claim.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well that’s a very welcome breath of fresh air. Thank you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it wasn't near as bad as it first appeared.

Any of those now good smokers? Photos?

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

So actually there are 6, not 4. From left to right is how I'd rate how good they actually smoke. I do love the Butz Choquin even though I used too much Oxy Clean and it left the stem a bit thin and and is now kind of loose, and even though I put vaseline over the metal engraving, it was still destroyed by the process. I learned something from that. I love the Butz, and pipes 2 through 4 I really like. The next one is a Smoking Man which was the first big red flag as he claimed it was a really nice pipe but I think Smoking Man is just an entry level pipe. The last one I think is cheap garbage.

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's kind of disturbing when you've never really been exposed to it before.
    It really is. And when you are exposed to it, it's almost like losing a piece of your innocence. At the same time, once you've been conned or scammed, it makes it a bit easier to expose other cons and scammers. Like that guy outside a convenience store always trying to sell gold and silver chains... real gold, and real "tarnish proof" silver.

Posted 1 month ago #
  53. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Curt, Google is your friend. And if you can’t find the pipe brand on Google, then you know something is amiss.

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

curttuck

Login to Send PM

It had a lot to do with the rushed circumstances. After I said I was interested since he had so many estate pipes and was selling some, he later showed up at the store where I work and had me go out to his car. I was very rushed because I had to get back to work but he had come probably 8 or 9 miles just to bring these. He was very enthusiastic about giving me a "good deal" because he wanted the pipes to go to someone who wasn't just going through a phase. It really seemed like his main interest was passing on pipes to someone in the hobby since there are so few here in Utah. In the end I couldn't do any research and only trust him at his word with the rush of the circumstances. I have all this amazing pipe tobacco and have studied it for 4 years but know very little about pipes and have no good ones because they are a lot more expensive and I always ended up too focused on the tobacco. I really wanted some estate pipes and right when I was considering buying some, I meet him. But I did learn from it, to slow down even when it seems like nothing devious at all is going on because there might actually be. The guy was inviting me to his Christmas party and talking about his family and all this stuff and I just probably had a bit too much faith in his character. In the end I think he actually is a massive pipe enthusiast who wanted to help me and wants me to come to his Christmas party but at the same time is a person who will take advantage of ANY opportunity to make an extra buck and does so all the time in a REALLY shady, untrustworthy manner. I'm not going to his Christmas party by the way. It would probably turn out to be a pyramid scheme presentation or something.

Posted 1 month ago #
  55. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha! There’s a Netflix series in the making about this guy.

In the end, those pipes may smoke just fine. Enjoy them, it will be your best recourse.

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did a blog post years ago maybe 10 or so years ago), about a couple of dreadlock wearing white Rasta dudes coming into my shop with a bucket full of that green slag that you find when you walk the railroad tracks. I knew about these rocks, well... because I used to walk along railroad tracks. The RR company poured iron slag into the RR beds before laying the gravel and rails down. It got rid of cheap byproducts from the iron industry, and it made for great drainage for water. It can range from a red to a green glass looking stone, and is totally worthless.

Anyways, these two hucksters were trying to tell me that the green glass was Alabama moldavite. Moldavite is a green glass formed from when a massive meteor hits the earth, throwing up massive amounts of sand into the air and instantly melting it into glass. And, it is only found in Russia, in the areas of woodlands where they have had repeated massive meteorite strikes. It has a special crystalline property that is observable through a moderate strength microscope. But, it can be detected by the naked eye in coloration. Anyways, at the time it was the rage with jewelry designers, as it was a gorgeous green color, but in all truths it is a poor stone for jewelry because it is just glass, and will break easily, even with moderate temperature changes causing thermal shock.

But, these guys were working it, and obvious had a dope smoker's understanding of gems and minerals, siting how Alabama moldavite grows in the ground and keeps growing, and gives of energy... which one day mankind will harness its energy and use it to power their cars. Stupid stuff like that. They were hard sales, but I worked them out the door. And, made sure they didn't steal anything as they left. It was definitely weird.

I have also been on my local pawn shop runs to buy metals when other customers were their with their hard sales pitches, trying to scam the pawn shop owners into buying crap. Scammers are more prevalent than you'd think. But, I think pawn shop guys hear more of the outlandish stuff.

Personally, I don't buy anything anyone tries to bring to me any more. I just recommend them to the pawn shops. Not having a B&M anymore makes it easier. All I have to do now is just hang up on them.

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. ken56

ken56

Login to Send PM

"And it's got a rubber ring that can prevent leaking!"
    Hey I got one of them and it works great...

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic's story and the OP's story about the Q-Pipes reminds me of this scene from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

https://youtu.be/_unm4X89D_o

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You really only hear about internet scams nowadays, but there are still feet on the ground types that are still trying.

Posted 1 month ago #
  60. seldom

seldom

Login to Send PM

It's an old lesson taught for generations but bears repeating:
    Mind your P's and Q's.

Especially when it comes to stems.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elpfeife, ashdigger, lucilucius, woodsroad, npod, peanubutter, kylef, trudger, rdavid, scloyd, wannabe, captaincalabash, dottiewarden, johnbarleycorn, davet, olkofri, snagstangl