PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I'm curious about this nomenclature. I recently opened my tin of Rattrays Marking Flake and it said ready rubbed, but when I opened it I saw huge sheets folded. It was sorta loose but not rubbed from what I understand it to be. Is this normal?

Jul 15, 2011
I find this to be true of almost any blend labeled ready rubbed. I just popped a tin of MacBaren Golden Extra, which also claims to be ready rubbed, and for the most part it is a nice ribbon cut, but there are still some larger chunks that require a bit of breaking apart in order to pack correctly.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Ready rubbed is like a Bond Martini . Shaken not stirred. Usually a quick trip through some kind of tumbler for the flakes and then on to packaging.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the info. I guess I was just expecting something else when I opened the tin. Doesn't really matter since Rattrays Marlin Flake is delicious!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
After 45 years of buying tobacco you would think that I would also expect to find ready rubbed a fully rubbed out blend, but NO. Usually it will be a broken flake. Deceptive advertising I say!!!!! LOL

Ready rubbed should always be a fully rubbed out tobacco, maybe not a shag or ribbon cut, but certainly fully broken/rubbed out. Just my Opinion, which doesn't always mean too much :rofl:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm just curious as to where you got a tin of Marlin Flake with "ready rubbed" on the label. Been a while since I bought a tin, so maybe something has changed?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
FYI, GLP's JackKnife Ready Rubbed is a *perfect* specimen of a true ready-rubbed. In fact, word on the street is there will be a rather excellent review of it on this very site soon.... :roll:

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
ohin3. I got it at pipesandcigars.com recently.

IMAG0287.jpg

romeowood. GLP jack knife is on my list!

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Ready Rubbed and ribbon cut are different things, hence the different nomenclature, though the difference can be subtle. Maybe a glimpse into the manufacturing will help clarify the terms.
To make ribbon cut, irrespective of how coarse or fine the ribbon, tobacco is lightly pressed into a "cheese," a block of tobacco that's fed through the cutter. As the block indexes through the cutting head, the blades shave off the correct thickness, and the ribbons fall onto the conveyor. Typical cuts range from 12 per inch to as many as 64, though most pipe tobaccos are in the 14-24 range. This is sometimes tumbled to further break up any strands that happen to stick together.
A ready rubbed starts out life as a plug. The tobaccos are put under considerable pressure for several days, resulting in a hard block. This block, when indexed through the cutter, yields slices, or cut plug, or flake—all different words meaning more or less the same thing. These slices are then tumbled until the result is more ribbon-like than a broken flake, but with a still coarser consistency than true ribbon. There will be some clumps that resemble several ribbons stuck together, but there should not be a large quantity of cut plug.
I hope this clarifies more than it obfuscates. ;)
-glp

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for the wealth of information. I may still post a picture of the contents of my tin later tonight since this piqued my curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.