PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
When looking at some tobacco retailers web site they have a sort of attribute system.
Examples

Strength: Mild, Mild-Medium, Medium, Medium-Full

Strength of what?
Flavor Intensity: Low, Mellow, Balanced, Distinct, Intensive

Is this how strong it taste to the mouth?
Room Note: Low, Mellow, Distinct, Intensive

In Aromatics is the how strong the flavoring smells when smoked?
Thanks

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks Michael
I am getting ready to order my 2nd batch of 1oz samles and that will help me better define what I am looking for :puffy:

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I agree shutterbugg, that goes with almost anything you buy online but its a lot closer than not havign a clue at all, I did that on my first order of (12) 1oz samples 8O

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Super8mm, if you switch back and forth between 12 samples your not going to get any of the nuances of the blends, pick a sample and smoke the whole ounce to get a real feel for the blend. Also if you want to get scientific write notes about anything you like/hate it will help us make other suggestions for things to try. Just some friendly advice :)
I don't look at the intensity/room notes ect anymore, there's no set measurement they don't help me at all, I just got a feel for what types I liked and looked for those types in a blend. Example would be I like Latika, so I look for blends with a "smoky" description or that just say they have Latikia in them.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for the advice wnghanglow, I have been smoking one sample for a couple of days then doing another and rotaing through them like that.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
When I'm trying to decide on trying a tobacco I've never had before, I always look at an on-line independent site. The reviews on the retailers site are helpful, but usually one mans view/taste. The independent sites have several, if not hundreds of reviews from pipe smokers from all over the globe.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Topd the only problem with that is it's so subjective you probably won't taste the same things anyone else does. One review says it taste like a burnt tire the other says they taste plum with a hint of honey and the third swears it's a tea. I find those sites more frustrating than helpful.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't use the individual reviews, I use the averaging blocks on Strength, Flavoring, Taste and Room Note. The one I use also has how many rated it with one star, through four stars. It gives you a good average of what a large percentage thinks.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Suppose that's a good way to go at it. What site do you use? Is it tobaccoreveiws.com?

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
TopD, Could you either link the review site you use or send it in a PM please? As a new pipe guy, I would like to have reviews before I spend cash on a new tobacco in order to refine my guess as to what I would like.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
js:
I believe TopD's referring to TobaccoReviews.com. If, after reading some reviews and trying some blends, you find that your tastes seem to align best with specific reviewers, you can also look up those reviewers and see all the blends that they've rated (and how many stars they gave them).
Just be aware, going in, that there's a lot of "noise" on TobaccoReviews -- that is, a lot of "reviewers" seem to be more interested in hearing themselves talk (or more concerned with impressing their readers with their wit and "erudition") than in actually offering a clear and cogent review of the blend under discussion. And you may need to do some additional homework to really figure out a blend (like, say, posting about it here!); I recently read the reviews before trying a new blend, and the reviews ranged from 1 star -- "tasteless" -- to 4 stars -- "excellent flavor". And one reviewer complained about "way too much perique in this blend". . . when there is NO perique in the blend at all. So you have to make allowance for people's inexperience, uneducated palates, and flat-out ignorance.
I realize that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement! :) But I do find the site helpful.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.