Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Anyone ever have their vulcanite stems restamped? I've heard of Dunhill stems being restamped with a fresh white dot. Can this be done with other makers? Where do you send them?
Thanks, guys!

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I had a replacement stem made for a Peterson a while back, and the guy put the Peterson "P" on the new stem. He's in Vero Beach, Florida. It can be done.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is this the Stanwell? There must be somebody out there who could do it. I know Jim Cooke used to make replacement stems for all kinds of brands. It might not be the job for him, but he might have a Stanwell stamp or know who does.

dutchronin

Lurker
Apr 16, 2014
If you have a steady hand you might be able to do this yourself!
I know of a guy that uses his dremel and a used dental drill to make marks deeper so they stand out more. This same method could be used to re-engrave a logo me thinks ;)

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
This all sounds like good advice. And yes, pitchfork, I am inquiring about my Stanwell.
I found this place called Starfire Pipe Works that claims to be able to do it. Ever heard of them?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
This post somewhat concerns me.
Can someone "forge" a stamp on a stem and then try to sell it to a uneducated buyer???
I admit I try to do my homework on things but if people have valid stamps that they can just press on $20 basket pipes that means they can get stamps to press on the briar of $20 basket pipes. Again, I am a big fan of caveat emptor, but the fact that this kind of ability exists for counterfeiters doesn't give me a high level of confidence of things that I buy over the web.
Thanks for the education. This post is not meant as a thread hijack. I TRULY appreciate the knowledge and thank you all for your input.
Cheers,
Dan

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I see your point. For me, I'm trying to replace a stem stamp that I believe was buffed out during a repair. But you're right; this could be used by nefarious individuals wanting to mislead people. That is why I stick to reputable retailers for my estate purchases--no offense to the private sellers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can someone "forge" a stamp on a stem and then try to sell it to a uneducated buyer???
Yes, of course. But mostly I see restampings on stems whose original stampings have been buffed off, or are a replacement stem. The Barling stem stamp is very delicate and is easily buffed off. When you see a bright white perfect Barling crossed stamp on an otherwise buffed down stem do you really think that it's original? If you answer yes, I have some swamp land to sell you, as well as an old bridge that crosses over the East River from Brooklyn to Manhattan.
There are several pipe restorers who have stamps for a variety of brands. When I had a replacement stem made for one of my Barling quaints, Ronnie B of Night Owl Pipeworks made the replacement stem and stamped it. I would imagine that Walker Pipe Repair can do that as well.
When it comes to very old estates, the "originality" of the stem can't be proven, so any such claims should be taken with a grain of salt. It was the custom of many companies, such as Barling, to provide replacement stems for their clientele. Original stem? No. Original manufacturer? Yes. Does it really matter? Maybe, maybe not.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
I admit I try to do my homework on things but if people have valid stamps that they can just press on $20 basket pipes that means they can get stamps to press on the briar of $20 basket pipes. Again, I am a big fan of caveat emptor, but the fact that this kind of ability exists for counterfeiters doesn't give me a high level of confidence of things that I buy over the web.
Consider the effort that it would take to counterfeit a pipe and the ceiling of the pipe that's being used. Doubtful that even a well selected bucket pipe will pass for a better brand without a lot of work and then no profit.
More probable could be a well selected (older) pipe that's altered to appear as a valuable collector brand but the manufacturing characteristics of that brand should make identification of frauds possible. If you're collecting a brand then you should be aware of these characteristics such as Dunhill's stems with an easily reproduced dot but also made from rod vulcanite (difficult and expensive to make) and their detailed nomenclature.
More difficult to identify are well crafted alterations to genuine pipes that affect the value, such as rim topping, replacement stems, overmarking, etc. Beware sellers who won't photograph and/or describe parts of the pipe that you need to see.
Sablebrush, that East River bridge was recently sold.....(again)

Status
Not open for further replies.