PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2010
Davenport, IA
Simon,
Thanks for catching that! :) Peak is also used for "excellent." In my embarrassment I'll claim that's what I meant, though it makes little sense.
Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Spot on observations Chelsea.

I'm glad you articulated those insights into modern life.

Too many things are too convenient... 5 bladed razors, talk about redundancy, microwave, and (typed with disgust) text messaging.
I agree slow down... do it right... and enjoy it... life.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Simon, thanks for catching that misspelling. As the Editor of the site, I missed it too, but it is fixed now.
I love what Chelsea wrote, and I made my two favorite lines nice big bold text:
Life won’t slow down for you, so take life by the stem, light it with a match, and enjoy it.
Trade me your phone for a pipe and I’ll give you an hour of your life you didn’t know you were losing.
I may use those lines in a future advertisement I am thinking about.
pstlpkr, I agree on texting.
Here's my thoughts on that.

http://totalguystuff.com/wp-content/audio-clip-of-day/the-hangover/its-gay.mp3

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Great. One comment and now I'm the Grammar/Spelling Nazi of PipesMagazine.com... :)
Simon

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Harking back to my (original) Star Trek days, I was tempted to refer to you as "Simon the Grammarian."

Actually, it's good that you notice such things, because we all become so sloppy and undisciplined.

Of course, from now on YOU had better not f-up! :)

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Maybe pipesmagazine.com should move to an entirely moderated system where all posts have to be approved by the grammar police... NOT!
Nobody wants that, least of all me! I promise never to do it again in the forums.
Live long and prosper.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Indeed Cortez. With the dawn of instant messaging and texting has come a severe loss of grammar and speaking skills. I have noticed that pipe smokers tend to be rather well spoken people in general and that we also tend to be grammar and spelling police. You guys can all feel free to correct me any time. I will not take offence. I would do the same ha ha ha.

May 19, 2010
Davenport, IA
It’s refreshing to see that so many people still care about the English language! Though it may be embarrassing to some to be corrected I always appreciate it. If you aren’t aware of the problem, you can’t fix it. Now, can you guess how many times I reread this paragraph? (Too many)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Phil,
You guys can all feel free...

That should be, "All you guys can feel free..."

Unless you're from Alabama, in which case it's, "All y'all feel free..."

(Did I do that second person plural correctly Lawrence?)

davidansley

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
As a younger pipe smoker and a child of the 21st century I feel the need to comment on the texting thing, sorry for the thread hijack by the way. I do text quite a bit(sorry pstlpkr) however, I do use full sentences and proper english when doing so. In fact, I am so anal retentive about about proper english that when someone texts me and doesn't use it, I yell at them and tell them to use it because I can't understand what the h#!l they are saying haha. I do use the typical lol and a few of the more common acronyms but when I see people using a lot of the more fancy ones I find myself going "huh???". Just wanted to put everyone's mind at ease that not everyone who texts spells their words without vowels and proper punctuation lol. And Chelsea, great article! Definitely love the trade the phone for a pipe line!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No problem David,

I too can't understand the more cryptic texting used to facilitate speed or fashion.

I would much rather use complete sentences as well.

As for punctuation, I'm the worlds worst comma splicer.

davidansley

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Oh I do that too. I am always making run on sentences because I always want to add just one more thought to what I said haha. I was more referring to the people that use no punctuation whatsoever and expect you to be able decipher what they mean by reading their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.