Rattray's Tin Dating Question (Happy IPSD to Me)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I ran across an old tin of Rattray's Jock's mixture and it came to me today. The ad said it was unopened but the label had holes. For $10 I decided to gamble on it. It came in great shape with the seal intact and no rust that I can see. Now here's the question. Are there any good resources for dating an old Rattray's tin? What sort of age am I looking at with this old guy? This one says it was blended in Scotland, has the registered trademarks for both the US and Great Britain, has the ring-pull lid, and is in 4oz weight.
dscn3347-450x600.jpg

dscn3348-450x600.jpg

dscn3349-600x450.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Just found a bit in the Loring page that indicates '70s. Not sure if I'm reading it correctly though.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That is quite a find, captainsousie. It is indeed the real Rattray's Perth, Scotland made stuff. The confirmation is the label which has written opening instructions only and you will find that the bottom of the tin is silver rather than gold. Even though the paper label has taken a bit of a beating the fact that you can't find any rust on the tin tells me you got it for a bargain. I've sold true Rattray's 1970's tins on both eBay and my website for easily twice the amount you paid. I'm jealous!
Pipestud

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Jocks Mixture is my absolute favorite Rattray's blend -- and one of my top 10 favorites of all the blends I've tried.
Fresh, it's wonderful. But I think you've got a real treat coming when you open that tin.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.