PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Thinking about purchasing a Rattray's pipe. I have never seen one. How is their quality: fit, finish, etc. and how do they smoke? Thanks!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Rattray Highland straight apple. I believe that the pipes are made for them by Chacom. They are nice pipes but, in my opinion, overpriced. I seem to recall that my Highland was around $180.00.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have three Rattray pipes (Lowland #48, six Friends #5, and Blowers Daughter) and they all smoke really well. However, they are now over priced in the North American market. The price in Europe is (or was?) much better. Quality wise I would say they are exactly what you would expect from a factory pipe. No better and no worse than many others, just more expensive.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I had the same question a week or so ago and am about to pull the trigger on a rustic Rhodesian. here's the thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rattrays-pipes-thoughts

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
They seem to be expensive for what they are,although I do like their shapes. I just picked up a Viprati 2 clover for less than the asking price of some Rattrays. So perhaps some astute window shopping may be in order,before hitting the PAD button.

P

pipebuddy

I have 2 Rattray's Army. A Zulu 1/4 Bent and a Billiard. The Billiard is drilled a bit too low in the bottom of the tobacco chamber, but still smokes fine.

Yes, they are slightly overpriced for what they are worth. But, at least, the rings on both pipes is Sterling Silver 925, so it ain't too bad.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like mine, I really do, and I smoke it almost every day. That being said, at that price point, you can get a better Savinelli or Peterson, or a Briarworks pipe. Also, the Rattray's are 9mm filter pipes. If you don't want a filter, look elsewhere.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a Rattray's Kelpy bent brandy. It is a very nice pipe and the craftsmanship is very good in my opinion. I can't speak as to the price as I received it as a gift from my daughters. I will say that I like this pipe very much and would surely consider purchasing another Rattray pipe. :puffy:

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Just received my Rattray's Old Gowrie No. 6 - a rustic Rhodesian style. Cost was £47.99 from Smoke-King.co.uk

Smokes very nicely- cool and comfortable - it's a fairly solid pipe, but clenchable. The bowl finish - a black rustic is nice too but not amazing. There is a slight flaw on the briar band but not that noticeable. wide stem/mouthpiece which i like but not for everyone.
As someone said earlier the drill is quite low in the bowl and although not been a problem for smoking The 2 times i've smoked it it seems to get a little blocked after the smoke and gentle pushing through has been required to clean.
All in all I will buy another different shape pipe - I'm looking at a poker, as the smoke is good and they look nice too. This is not an expensive pipe but not a cheapie either!

Jan 8, 2013
I have a Chubby Jackey, the blasted one with the horn insert on the shank. I love it. It is a 9mm, but I just smoke it without a filter or an adapter. Great smoker, and well balanced.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+ 1 Jason(fadingdaylight). I have a terracotta Chubby Jackey with a horn ring that I use when I'm driving; stubby with lots of capacity and a short stem. Ideal. I also have a Red Lion #58 that looks great and is an excellent smoker, but the slightly chunky acrylic stem is a bit of a mouthful.
I prefer a wide draw so once I've chucked the filter, things are generally just right for me.
Andy

Jan 8, 2013
Exactly. I like an open draw as well, I mainly use my CJ for Gaslight and Nightcap, like Andy said, ideal for driving.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
I have one Rattray's, a diplomat shape I believe, and it's just perfect for latakia blends. My understanding was that they were made by Butz Choquin. Wherever it comes from, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.