PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I picked up these two, Rattray's Goblin 99 and Fachen 99 over Black Friday weekend for around $40ish each.

Both are light, well made, and fit the bill as I was looking for decent briars to use while hiking or in the car while driving.

Took the Goblin one its maiden voyage for aged 5100 a few minutes ago and its a fabulous smoker. The Fachen is good one, too.

I'm loving these little pipes. Good substitute if you are looking for something like a Morgan Bones, but more finished.

(off topic, but that table is so dirty because its our outside table for plants and whatnot. Its a miserably rainy, cold day in Ohio right now....)

l6wrJhB.jpg

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I bought and had to return two Rattray Goblins... three years apart.

The filters for the Goblin -- several different filter brands tried -- when inserted are too long for the filter chamber.

So, when inserted, the pipe doesn't close fully. the filter area is too short.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
They are filtered and seem to work fine with the 9mm adaptor and a 6mm balsa.

Just tried and a 9mm balsa does hit the bottom of the shaft, but that’s easily remedied by shaving a little off the filter.

I always cut them in half anyway.

I don’t have any other kind of filter to try out... I wonder if they were made to use with a specific filter?

Maybe if we knew the maker it would help.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have three plus different 9mm fliters (not including Savinelli balsa) and none close properly.

Good to hear your modified filter approach has worked for you.

I never thought to try a modified/shortened balsa! I just used regulation 9mm filters.

I have a hundred 9mm pipes... so I know something about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.