PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Up to $67 and 3 hours to go. It's getting more rare by the minute.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That is a hefty price for a billiard. Linkman's do bring more money. Ed probably has a basket full of these in his shop.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's a nice pipe but that one is going a bit high I'd say. Not particularly rare as Linkmans go-- it's a Deluxe,not a Select Grain or Tru-Grain. That seller always seems to get good prices for his Linkmans.They are clean and shiny and well presented. I'll pay extra for clean and shiny--but not that much extra. :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think that a Linkman's made Grabow were the last to be made in Chicago before the company moved to Sparta.

There are a couple more 'lines' in this category.

I've got one Westbrook, one Linkman's and a Tru grain on the way. I guess Westbrook is what got my attention, though it was a Sparta made pipe.

Pretty much the same scoop 'stinger' in both. I love em.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow, I have a patent era Linkman's Grabow zulu that I didn't pay anywhere near that for. 8O

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Since Grabow made a million pipes a year for centuries (slight exaggeration), I've never seen a rare one.
You are correct in that Grabows were made in the millions- but-there are a few "rare" Grabows out there Steve. Try finding a shape 91 or 39 Linkman Grabow,or a Linkman Grabow stamped "West Coast Briar" or a Sparta made "Unique" of which approximately 500 were made ( HAND Made- BTW) or a Commodore "Oom Paul" which ain't even on the Grabow shapes charts from the time they were made. I have seen or heard of only one- and I have it- thanks to Sam Coffeeman. Or how about a sandblasted Grand Duke,one of the cheapest Grabows made with a finish that was supposedly used only on the higher priced Commodore and Sculptura lines--one of Lane Limited's weird anomalies.
Of course, those "rare" Grabows will never be worth what rare pipes made by other companies are worth.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have a very similar pipe to theone sold above. Can't remember the shape number(9482?), But it is set shape basically. Actually much nicer grain, and it is a Select Grain. The aluminum fitment is also ringed which is quite different. I'll post a pic later.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
20130813_182606.jpg

20130813_182524.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't see many of those Sam.Your 9419 is larger than the pipe on Ebay. I believe only the Select Grain had that type of band. I have only one with that band- a 9484 billiard.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got my Linkman's for 10 bucks. It had some noticeable rim char and lots 'o cake but the stem was pristine so I took a shot and won it.

This old thing smokes like a dream! I know, I know. You want to see it. I'll put together a thread with pics of my recently acquired old pipes soon.

The most I've paid for a pipe in the last 2 yrs is for a C.P.F. carved claw briar with bone stem. I paid about $30.00 for it because I don't see that many of these and it seems a real piece of pipe history.

I have been smoking it and it performs like a champ.

I've got a TRU GRAIN due in today. I am a little worried about how much wood may be missing near the rim, but this one only cost me $5.00 so I took a gamble.

I am kind of looking for older briar lately, thinking that it is superior to new stuff, by and large.

Anther recently acquired pipe was a B. Barling & Sons smooth bent billiard for under $30.00. It's in excellent condition and smokes as good as any pipe I have. (I've got about 30 briars in rotation))

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
davet,nice CW. Linkman made them in four shapes--IIRC. They pop up every so often. The red Color Duke did go a bit high.Someone may have wanted it to complete a collection--there are guys who collect the painted pipes. It may not be smoked. Could be a model produced when they were still "pre-smoking" their pipes or could be a later model with the sprayed in black bowl coating. The "pre-smoked" pipe will sometimes have a bit of tobacco in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.