PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Thought of this topic, and it may already have been done. So apologies if it has. What are some rare and hard to obtain tobaccos? Are they worth the praise or would you rather have something else? I had an opportunity to buy a tin of Butera Pelican this May and passed, kind of kicking myself. Also picked up two tins of Balkan Sobraine and have them in the cellar for special occasions. One blend that I would love to try is Three Nuns with the perique. I was a little disappointed with the reformulated tin I bought.

Motzek Strang is a handmade VaBur twist from Germany that is excellent!! But, you cannot get it in the US, and the guy is about to retire from making, as rumor has it. So, that is very hard to get.
Warrior Plug, from Murrays is an excellent full strength plug with a delicious flavor. But, can't get in US.
And, of course the Esotericas.
There are probably a ton of different blends that are sought after, but unobtainable unless you travel or know someone in the right places.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
You can order Strang from Mr. Motzek, helps to know German.

Warrior is available through pipedivan.com.

Can't help you with Esoterica...

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
True. I just read it as 'impossible to get if you live in US', not what you probably meant - 'not sold by retailers in the US.'

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I've seen folks refer to those blends here, just never seen it for sale. Esoterica is usually sold out when I get around to ordering.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
To pick nits a bit more...Strang has a healthy dose of perique as well...

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Germain's Brown Flake, Medium Flake, and Special Latikia Flake. All hard to obtain here in the states. Ordered 15 tins of Brown Flake from Germany. Shipping was expensive but, for me anyway, it lived up to the hype and was worth the expense and wait.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Well up until recently Dunhill Baby's Bottom was discontinued, now it's a Match bulk. Gonna try her out tonight.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
A lot of tobacco is hard for me to get,but I can get warrior, strang and condor handy enough. So I don't feel the need to chase the unicorn fart stuff and remain content with what I can get.Although I'd be happy to try esoteric stuff.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I was just downtown at Holt's in Philly and saw they have a fresh shipment of a bunch of Esoterica bags. Looks like the container of Germain's has come in. The Pz and SH were not on the shelf - probably squirreled away.
hp

les

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I normally get whatever I need although Warrior Plug doesn't seem to taste like it used to years ago and Condor seems to have lost its oomph which probably why I launched my own blends with SToP since I really think the world needs a $6 plug that weighs 1 oz that you can smoke or chew instead of the cost of importing from Europe!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Condorlover1, still on track for the release. I need me some Bengal Slices, well a lot of Bengal Slices.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I thought GQ won't ship to the US? That is what their website says...
As I understand it, it's an issue with credit card companies and not with the laws. If you use a credit card to pay then they can't ship to the states, but if you use a wire transfer then there isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.