PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I buy racks first, then plan years ahead what I'll put into them. Slot by slot. Takes patience, but anticipation and the hunt are part of the fun. Finally fullfilled my goal of securing my seventh Ashton. So now I have a seven day set. Started this particular rack row in 2008. And now it's done. Simple rule - can only buy what the rack will hold.
IMAG1232-1.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your Ashton collection. I have watched some of those auctions from Coopersark but have not won an Ashton so far.
I hope you enjoy all your pipes for many years.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kashmir, great looking collection, congrats. I have been watching all of those RD Field Ashtons, man they are not cheap, but they are awesome looking Ashtons. Definitely a part of history there, I think they will be a great investment.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Now to figure out how to reduce the photo size from Photobucket. I don't have a computer & do everything on my Android phone. There's a tutorial posted here on reducing photos from Photobucket, but on the phone I get a different interface. I'll have to work on it. But thanks kindly for all your comments. And sorry the photos are mural size.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Beautiful collection. Strong family resemblance but with enough variety to keep things interesting. Well done!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Years ago I decided on shell blast finishes as the way to go, on account of durability. If dropped it'd not the end of the world, like on smooths. I've changed of course and collect a lot of smooths too. But a good blast really jerks my bobber if done correctly. Of course Michael Parks & JT Cooke are my blast masters. But my collection can only afford one of these, not a whole row! I think Jimmy Craig does and son do a really fine job with the blast. By the way, I've read that Bill Ashton Taylor never smoked a pipe, only cigars on occssdion. Was known to tip a few however and sometimes this is seen on his drilling accuracy. But hey! Adds to the charm of these pipes.
Here's the reference to Granta Magazine article on Bill Ashton Taylor:
http://www.granta.com/Archive/105/Among-the-Pipemen
WilliamAshtonTaylor.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Kashmir: What a beautiful collection of Ashtons. I once received a pipe from Bill Taylor himself and treasure it above all.
I began collecting Ashtons in the early 1990s and did so up until Bill died. He was a lovely man and his pipes are just treasures.
You have a brilliant collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.