PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
There's a fellow member at the local cigar shop, nice guy. Got him into pipe smoking; recently he picked up a couple Cobs, a few tobaccos, and he seems to like it a lot.
Anyhow, he brought this to the shop tonight and gave me a sample. Looking at the tin, this was packed in 2013. It smells delicious! Has a bit of that vinegary McClelland scent in the tin. I'm growing fond of that.
No bite and only a mild touch of spice at the beginning. Has a terrificly smooth, dark, almost chocolatey flavor at the top of the bowl. I can taste a cigar-ish note in the smoke, but this is definitely a pipe blend. There's a vague fruitiness to the flavor which makes me think there is a touch of Perique in the blend. Snork is a tad spicy.
Nearing mid-bowl. Nothing left to remind me of a cigar. Finding some of that golden pie-crust flavor that I've mentioned before. Some earthiness, too. An excellent smoke so far, definitely want to get some into my cellar.
Slightly leathery and woody at the bottom of the bowl, but not completely departed from the flavors I had mid-bowl. Just a slight evolution.
Don't buy this looking for a cigar. Buy it for a damned good pipe smoke.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Update:
My pal filled a bowl of his for himself. He's across the room in a smokey cigar shop, but I can smell it clearly. Reminds me of a moist, homemade chocolate cake. Really enticing "room note", for you indoor smokers. Definitely need to get some of this!!!!!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Have a tin of this I haven't tried, it sounds good. Do yourself and try the Dominican maduro glory, it's a broken flake, one of my top McClellend's Va's.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Dominican maduro glory, it's a broken flake, one of my top McClellend's Va's.
AAAAAAAH!!!!!! I MADE A MISTAKE!!!! This is the Maduro!!!!!!!!!
Can a mod add Maduro to the title!?
Whoops

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
i have just tried DGM and it is nothing like Spectre or any of the typical cigar blends with or without latakia. Its very close to Dark Star with added spiciness and body from the maduro leaf. It is also much easier to keep lit and is very smokey. Big problem for me though as it rips my mouth apart no matter how dry or slow I smoke it. Which is too bad because this blend is a nice unique departure from the typical cigar blends I usually smoke...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sounds great. I'll have to pick up a tin.
Also those Spectre cigars I'll have to try. Anyone ever try the 1881 Perique cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.