PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
First, let us address the whole rabbit thing:
The young folk may not have heard of it, but Jimmy Stewart starred in a movie called Harvey. Stewart plays an aimless drunk who is friends with a giant invisible rabbit named Harvey. This, as well as my love of all things rabbitty, led to the well-enjoyed nickname, Rabbit.
Anywho, I'd love a meer shaped like a wabbit, but it'll be a looooong time before I can swing a comission like that. Plan B is to modify an existing briar. I've got a nice Foredom flex-shaft and was planning to use that to draw a rabbit head onto a yet-undetermined pipe. It won't be a detailed piece, just a line drawing of the rabbit's profile.
My concerns surround the bit: I'm not sure what sort of tool to put in my flex shaft. I've got a set of engraving bits for steel, can I use them on the briar? Wood is quite foreign to me, I usually don't work with materials that can't be melted.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Though Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time, Harvey is my all time favorite film.
Kudos on your endeavor. We used to have the Meerqueen folks on here. Maybe you could commission through them?
You go get you some pookah!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Jimmy Stewart was magnificent in 12 angry men
Have you considered a clay pipe you work with clay don't you

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I have worked with clay, but that was part of a one-off project and I have no equipment or material.
Actually, I'm proud of that project. Built a potter's wheel out of computer parts, an antique kitchen mixer, and some other junk. Made a couple of nice little pots with it.
But, fun as that was, it won't help me make a pipe. Perhaps in Minnesota I can use the art facilities at Shannen's university to make a clay pipe. For now, the briar engraving/carving is the plan.
Oi.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Mary Coyle the writer of Harvey drew inspiration for the play from the Irish legend of the Pùca. This might give you a few ideas Op.

Oh good, I thought that you were about to start raising rabbits. I was thinking that it would be odd if we both were into metalworking, jewelry, banjo, pipes... and raising rabbits.

We breed and raise rabbits for food. They are much quieter than chickens, but the eggs don't taste nearly as good, ha.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Keep looking! They are out there!
http://www.royalmeerschaumpipes.com/The-Rabbit-Meerschaum-Pipe-p/ik111530.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RABBIT-MEERSCHAUM-CIGAR-HOLDER-CHEROOT-HOLDER-WITH-FITTED-CASE-RING-50-52-/272068517722?hash=item3f588c1f5a:g:xVYAAOxy0bRTAJ0s
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/32182212

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'd seen those first two, but not the last one. That upside down head is freaky!

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Also, in search of a pipe to rabbitify. Happy to trade for something smooth, no fills, with a vulcanite stem. Not totally sure what shape I want, so just send a message and we'll chat.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Rabbit Wants a Rabbit"
Here you go...
th

Status
Not open for further replies.