PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am back from vacation, quite a ride it was - first time ever all inclusive deal, in Turkey. You can imagine how enthusiastic I was on my departure, knowing that I am going to be a couple hundred miles away from the largest meerschaum exploitation site in the world. Well ... so what? The Turkish Bazars are full of all sorts (crap mostly), turkish delight, coffee, tea, fake sunglasses, fake shoes and t - shirts, but no meer pipes in sight. I kept asking around, and everybody either shrugged or said Istambul. I did find some cheap olive wood pipes in a store, and the seller was asking a small fortune for them. I bet I could have gotten one really cheap if I wanted it, since everything is expensive in the bazar and you can bargain it down with the seller - but they were so poorly made I didn't even want to touch them. The water pipes, your famous shisha or hookah if you want, were gorgeous. Fortunately I couldn't fit one in the suitcase, or I would have bought one (negotiated one for a friend as low as EUR 30 - he drove to our vacation spot, lucky him - or not, 1800 km ride it was). My wife would have had a cow :lol: I smoked a water pipe, and by far it was the coolest smoke ever. Rose flavor, excellent !!! I guess it is kind of a consolation price for not finding the original meer pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is fascinating. Sounds like a nice trip otherwise, and I hope you and your wife had a great time. For some trips, it's good not to have to navigate all the arrangements across the language barrier. I have never been to Turkey nor anywhere near. So all I have is speculation on the Meerschaum market. It sounds like what you saw at the markets was altogether tourist merchandise, souvenir stuff, overpriced and for the most part shoddy. Somewhere there are Meerschaum pipe markets geared to real pipe smokers and wholesalers, I presume. There you'd need to engage your guide or someone who speaks the language to sniff out a higher level person who could deal. Finding the pipes and a good intermediary would take a chunk of time, not what you have on a vacation trip. My wife and I tried to buy wedding rings in the Provinces of France, with the help of friends fluent in the language, but ended up in the New York diamond district where my wife had much knowhow, and I think we did pretty well. We loved France, but for serious dealing, we needed solid footing. Boy, I was impressed with the security in the diamond district; they ain't just messing around.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There was a thread sometime ago where one of the few famous turkish carvers was quoted with saying that all the good pipes went to Europe and America. Turks smoke cigarettes and tourists buy souvenirs only. His words. Might have been Bekler, but I'm not sure.

Dec 24, 2012
This is odd to me. When I was in Turkey a couple of years ago on a cruise there were a couple of shops devoted solely to meershaum and they had scads of pipes, some of them outrageously expensive. I bought a dragon claw meer in a fitted case after I bartered the guy down to about 1/3 of what he was asking and still thought I overpaid compared to what I could get a baki meer for with a real vulcanite stem.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
madox07, you have been warned few months ago :nana: Antalya is a tourist city and the whole economy of the place is based on hotels and selling fake items to the tourists with an overpriced value.
Madox07: Was there any decent PipeTobacco available at tobacconists?I'd guess tobacco products are fairly cheaply priced there,
Probably not. There are 2-3 blends that have been manufactured by a local company, and every single pipe smoker in Turkey is complaining about the scarcity of the products all the time. All other blends are either brought from Europe or USA, legally or illegally.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
jvnshr touche ... but still, I have expected something else from a metropolitan area that has a bit north of 1 million people.
paulie66scandinavian none what so ever. Cigarettes were pretty cheap (I am guessing that the government is not taxing them as high as in the EU), and plenty of water pipe tobacco blends. But your regular pipe tobacco, simply NONE.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have been in Turkey a few times. I think you really have to be lucky enough to be in the right place to find a real meerschaum carver. I found one in Marmaris - he had hundreds of pipes, in every carving you could imagine. I bought a twin set of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson - the carver very subtly carved my initials into them when I bought them. I never saw any carvers though in Istanbul and certainly not in any of the bazaars.
This thread reminded me of my set - I haven't smoked them in some time: perhaps today :puffpipe:
Mike

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Cigarettes were pretty cheap (I am guessing that the government is not taxing them as high as in the EU), and plenty of water pipe tobacco blends.
The cigarette prices are actually pretty high in Turkey (because of the taxes). You are just seeing the value from euro/usd point of view. In 2011 a pack would cost 6-7 liras (1 usd was around 2 liras at that time, so a pack would cost $3-4). Now the same pack costs 13,50 try which is around $2 ($1=6,5 try). Turkey has become a really expensive country in recent years, but not for those who get their salaries in dollars or euros.
Actually, in Turkey 13,50 try is what 13,50 usd in the States or 13,50 euro in Europe.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Did you actually beat him? He's pretty good.
800px-Kempelen_chess1.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maybe you just went to the wrong place? There must be some good Meerschaum pipes there to be had, maybe in some other town? I'm not suggesting you should have driven all around Turkey of course.
Was the coffee at least good?

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Just like anywhere, there are few pipe smokers in Turkey and thus few meerschaum carvers who are making pipes for smokers and not tourists. I visited one, back in 2003, in Ankara. Nice fellow who used to make his bucks by heading out to US Navy ships and hawking his pipes to the sailors. Still have the pipe, I think I paid $60 (yes, fifteen years ago) and it still smokes beautifully. Since then I read about the fellow who is supposed to make the best smokers in Turkey. His shop, or stall, is in something called the Arasta Bazaar and it is right next to the Blue Mosque, a major tourist site in the area of Istanbul that every tourist will visit. (Ten minute walk from the Grand Bazaar.) It pops up on google maps as "Meerschaum Pipes Personally Handerafted" (Yes, that typo is in the google maps title.) Next time I'm in Istanbul...

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Reading about Turkey also reminded me of the last time I was there, 2013, with students, organized tour. Our guide, as it turned out, was a big time smoker. Weirdly, a former student sent along some posh cigars just before my trip and I had those, and my pipe, and the guide and I had several fine evenings the finest being one nice, fantastic red wine, perfect temps, and the two of us sitting around the hotel pool with a dramatic evening view of the Med. Perfect. I asked him as we traveled about tobaccos and all. He recommended nothing Turkish. I asked him how Turks get American or European tobacco. As there is an 18% duty, he said the black market was the only way. But, of course, it was a risk for anyone trying to sell that way. So, last night of the tour, we are having our farewell dinner in Istanbul, in a very touristy area, and I see this wee stall with a guy selling Turkish wooden pipes (which are not very good). Guide comes over and we both are looking. I ask about tobacco. Guide says, "it will only be bad stuff." Then he asks the seller, seller responds, and guide roars with laughter. Seller then pulls open a drawer, one behind the counter, and it is stuffed full of a wide variety of American and European tobaccos (at extraordinary prices). So you can get it, but you'll pay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just bought this Cavalier from MeerQueen a couple of weeks ago for $195.00

It arrived from Istanbul in three days, free shipping (UPS)

pe254.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.