Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview tonight is with Quinton Wells. Quinton is a pipe maker, an executive in The Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, and is in charge of the pipe carving contest at the club's pipe show in June.
Our opening segment will feature Paul Creasy talking about the new proposed FDA deeming regulations, and how they may affect pipe tobacco production and marketing.
Quinton Wells

quinton-wells.jpg

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Really enjoyed the show this week, Quinton Wells was very informative. I, like Quinton did, need to learn to smoke slower and enjoy tobaccos. As a former cigarette smoker this hard for me to do. If anyone has any tips please feel free to post them.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Paul Creasy is doing great work in defending the rights of pipe smokers.
Quinton has done yeoman's work in getting the Carvers Contest to fly. We have just loved the success this event has achieved. A number of "who's that" carvers have been winners in this contest. The contest is one of the reasons I always champion Andy Petersen's pipes. You can look at his stuff at apetersenpipes.com.
We really need people buy raffle tickets to win the 7 Day set. This is how we pay the carvers. All the money from the raffle is used to pay the carvers. The club makes nothing.
To buy tickets go to www.gkcpipeclub.com, scroll down and you will see a couple buttons to either buy 1 ticket ($25) or to buy 5 tickets ($100). You then be asked to identify yourself so that we can contact you if you are not at the show. Then it will take you to PayPal to complete the purchase. If you are adverse to PayPal just email me ad admin@gkcpipeclub.com and we will work something out.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Another great show. I really appreciate the news from Paul informing us where the process is in the impending FDA regulations. It is reassuring to know that pipe tobacco will be relatively unscathed in this latests draconian measure to regulate our hobby. Hearing it from one of the industry leaders also helps as I trust what he says, as he has a big dog in this fight.
The interview with Quinton was awesome. The things that the GKCPC are doing is fantastic. I think it is great to hear that they are promoting the carvers whether they be big names or up-and-comers. What is an even bigger boon is that for as little as $25 a pipe enthusiast can literally get hundreds of dollars worth of pipes, or more. This is a win-win.
It is things like this that make our hobby great. I have never met a more magnanimous group than the pipe smoking community.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Amen and hallelujah on Brian's rant about the "good old days." Yes, there are some things I miss, blends, old retail locations gone and the availability of Esoterica tobacco. On the other side of the ledger, great blends and pipes are being made now and the Internet brings us greater access to them. I can email tobacco maker and talk to them about their blends, whereas only if you worked in shop in the past would those conversations be available. If your shop in the past didn't carry a line of pipes, too bad. Now, pipe makers can set up shop on the net. Just this week, I am trying two new blends that I wouldn't have heard of in ye good olde days. Seriously, 20-30 years ago, it would have been highly unlikely that a group like the Seattle Pipe Club could get a blend to go national. (Good job on Plum pudding, people!). Change is constant, people. Embrace it. Also in the good old days, we wouldn't have a radio show or a place like the forums to talk pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.