Quintessential Pipe from Various Makers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
For how much I smoke, I definitely do not need any more pipes, but I know this group understands the desire of PAD.
In an attempt to keep the collection as “limited” the best I can, I’m interested in hearing what the Quintessential pipe is for the following pipe makers: Peterson, Savinelli, Dr. Grabow; Comoy’s; Missouri Meerschaum; Stanwell. The thinking is if I only have one pipe from those makers, which would be a good choice?
I know this is very subjective, but it could be good to hear this groups opinion. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, the best Dr. Grabow is the Royalton bulldog with a 6 mm adaptor to keep the draw focused. I truly like the Peterson brandy/volcano B11 sitter if you can like the shape otherwise. I like the MM special editions with acrylic stems, a little pricier than most of their cobs, but worth it to me. I love the Stanwell 32 bulldog.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The Peterson 03! As much as I love the shape, the handful that I have examined are all drilled with the draught hole towards the top of the mortise, which is a no-go for me because I like to easily pass a cleaner if need be.
My favorite cob is the Missouri Meerschaum Washington with a bent stem. It's a classic cob, and if I could only buy one style of cob, that would be it.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
For Savinelli, I would think the 320 KS would be the most popular/quintessential shape--you can find them in most of the popular lines, and they're fantastic smokers. I am also quite a fan of "Bing's Favorite" and I like the golf club image on the stem (although I'm probably in the minority).

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Savinelli - As mentioned, the 320.
Missouri Meerschaum - Certainly the Legend.
Stanwell - One of Sixten's designs. Either the 11 (my favorite) or the 86.

Jan 8, 2013
I suppose for one pipe from each brand, I'd have to say.... Not going on my favorites.
Peterson: Peterson Patent System with a Plip. Probably an 05 shape.

Savinelli: The 404

Stanwell: Gonna go with 139 since it has that Danish flare in the shaping. Although, I believe I see more pots and billiards with saddle stems.

Dr. Grabow: Billiards. I see more Dr Grabow billiards than any other shape.

Comoy: The 499 shape. Or something similar.

Missouri Meerschaum: The Legend Flat.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I think the billiard shape, in both straight and bent is what most everyone thinks of when you say "pipe". I think that's why most every manufacturer the OP mentions makes those. I won't get into aesthetic preferences of straight vs. bent, that's strictly a personal preference....but we all secretly know that the full bent billiard shape is the only real pipe shape

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Peterson Sherlock Holmes Strand.
002-029-28996_1.jpg

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Stanwell: Gonna go with 139 since it has that Danish flare in the shaping
+1. I believe that shape was designed by Jess Chonowitsch. Great size and comfortable to clench, even with an acrylic stem.
For Peterson, a system pipe of some kind for sure.
For Savinelli, I think their shape 122 bent pot is very distinctive, and I'm fond of how it smokes.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Hmmm...
Peterson's, a Pre-Republic pipe.

Savinelli, 811 Billiard.

Dr. Grabow, no opinion.

Comoy's, a tough one. 296 Canadian? 36 Dublin?

Stanwell, shape 30, "The Peewit" by Sixten Ivarsson.

Missouri Meerschaum, I prefer my corn on the grill, or roasted in the oven. :nana: :)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson - System

Savinelli - Bing's Favorite

Missouri Meerschaum - Carolina Gent
I've never been a fan of Stanwell or Comoy's or Dr Grabow, so I can't really speak to those brands.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Peterson, Savinelli, Dr. Grabow; Comoy’s; Missouri Meerschaum; Stanwell.
Peterson: Full Bent

Savinelli: Straight

Dr. Grabow: Bents & Straights

Comoy's: Billiard

Missouri Meerschaum: Country Gentleman

Stanwell: 1/4 Bent Acorn

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have to 2nd the Stanwell 86. I have one of the brushed brown models from last year and it is a joy in all respects. Hard to see, but it's the one in my avatar.
My two Savinelli's have also been great smokers, the straight billiard, 111KS Roma, and bent 606KS Bianca. Those are both "lower end" models and still highly reliable.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Size up the Peterson P-Lips. Some really like them, others don't. Especially if you go with an up-market System pipe, with a P-Lip, you might try an estate pipe and see how you like it before you break for a new System pipe with a P-Lip. I have a P-Lip I enjoy, but I wouldn't buy another. A little bit too much button for me.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
For the Grabow I think the quintessential ones are the really old adjustomatic ones of any shape. For current models I'd say Omega and its also a faux Peterson system pipe so it could be a good compromise and also is the least expensive brand you've listed.

Not a big Sav fan, never tried a Comoy but not adverse to.

Stanwell is my favorite factory pipe and I've yet to find a bad one, and their all equally good to me, Danish & Italian. So pick your favorite Stanwell and call it quintessential..

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I wanted to add that I used to think I needed a briar specimen from every factory brand but really I'd pick one and then mb get a calabash gourd, A meer, Kirsten, Falcon, one w a bamboo shank. Those to me are quintessential pipes and round out a collection. Unless your a briar only piper. Not what you asked Ik but thats my take on quintessential..

Status
Not open for further replies.