PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello!
I've been smoking for a while and noticed my experiences are inconsistent in quality and I think that the issue lies with my packing.
I have noticed that when I retrohale, a lot of smoke comes out of the bowl as well as my nostrils. Is this an indication that I am not packing my tobacco tightly enough? Every time I watch tutorials and the experienced pipe smokers employ the breathing method or what have you, as they exhale or retrohale or breathe out, whether they open their mouth or not, very little (if any) smoke comes out of their bowl!
So, as I gently breathe in I get some tobacco in my mouth, but as I breathe out, and I do mean through my nose, a lot of smoke comes out of the pipe. Can anyone confirm if this lies with my tobacco being packed too loose?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and the answer is no. Simply place your tongue to the bit and no smoke comes back out through the bowl. That's on the retrohale part. Breath smoking is another world.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Oh wow... no one has ever mentioned putting the tongue on the hole as you retrohale... Thanks !

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
So do you put your tongue in front of the hole? If not, I assume it's because I don't pack it tightly enough.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No, I don't put my tongue on the hole. I just don't breathe out my mouth when I retrohale. I assume you mean blowing smoke out through your nose when you say retrohale? If not, perhaps we're not talking about the same thing. I throat inhale and blow the smoke out my nose. I rarely if ever blow smoke out of my mouth and suck it into my nose.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So do you put your tongue in front of the hole? If not, I assume it's because I don't pack it tightly enough.
That will cause saliva build up in the stem and cause a gurgle. On the exhale, push your tongue against the roof of your mouth to force the smoke into your throat and sinus cavity and the outward breath will carry the smoke out of your nose. The pressure change will cause a little smoke to rise from the bowl. Are you using the inhale to draw from the pipe or are you creating a vacuum in your mouth to draw?

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hoosier, we do have the same definition of retrohale.
Embers, I inhale by breathing in through my nose (block off throat) which slightly draws onto my pipe, and exhale the same way, except I unblock my throat otherwise I cannot taste it.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
UPDATE: If I don't unblock my throat, then the smoke does not come out through the bowl but also not through my nose. I also don't taste it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Agree that it has nothing to do with packing. I don't cover the slot with my tongue, or push my tongue against the roof of my mouth, or really do anything except breathing out through my nose, which pulls the smoke out of my mouth and through my nose. No gymnastics, I just do it. Probably left over from those years of coffin nails, just without the inhaling into my lungs part. Or maybe it's the yogic breathing that I do. I can exhale through my nose even with my mouth open without expelling air through my mouth. I'm sure there's some unconscious thing that I do, but I'll be damned if I can figure out anything obvious.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Damn. All these threads about how to smoke (breathe smoking, retrohaling) a pipe and enjoy it amazes me. I started at a very young age and guess it just came natural after watching my elders.
Just to give an example, it took me almost the better part of a year to master a diaphragm turkey mouth call. Just couldn't figure it out, how to position my mouth and all. Finally, it all fell into place and it started to come natural.
I suspect the same happens with new pipemen. If you have the luxury of being around other pipesmokers, glean all you can from them. If not, ask questions here and watch all the pipesmoking videos you can.
Be patient and persevere. It'll come in time.
To myself, smoking a pipe is kind of a personal thing. I've haven't witnessed two pipemen demonstrate the same technique.
Not only smoke what you like and like what you smoke, smoke it the way you enjoy it. It's your world. Everyone else is just passing through. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.