PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Bought a TWC "lockmount" off ebay for 99 cents a month or two back. Stinger pipe, plenty good smoker, but also plenty rough around the edges. I decided to utilize it for some experimentation on refinishing.
Here is what she looked like with a basic cleaning job (olive oil and that is about it):
onerx.jpg

So, I decided to do pretty much a quick and experimental restoration of the finish. Didn't spend tons of time on it, wasn't looking for some sort of "like new" quality. Just wanted to familiarize myself with the process and maybe spruce up the pipe a bit in the end.
The initial idea was to soak the bowl in Everclear to remove the finish. That idea did not work.
twovy.jpg

In the future, a grain alcohol soak may be in order to clean the pipe and sweeten it, but it did little or nothing to remove the finish off the pipe. Possibly a longer soaking would work better, but my assumption is that alcohol impacts the wax coating, or possibly a varnish to some degree, but not completely. Actually taking off the finish, at least on this pipe, required a bit of acetone and some light sandpaper.

threewy.jpg

Now, I did not spend a lot of time on the sanding, and it was all done manually. The acetone was just a light rub, and possibly not truly necessary. The picture above shows maybe a total of 5-6 minutes of sanding.
I then cleaned it off by dumping it back in Everclear, wiping it, and letting it dry. I then applied a coat of "acorn brown" leather dye. It takes very little dye. A small $5 container of the dye looks like it may color well over 20 pipes. Possibly quite a bit more. So, now it looked so:
fourzv.jpg

After that, it was pure caranuba wax, purchased from the auto parts store. I simply applied it, rubbed it in, and gave it a very light dry buff. And this is the end result:
fivehe.jpg

All of the flat and dull spots on the finish are gone. The graining of the pipe was not spectacularly impressive, but what is there now shows well, and the pipe certainly looks cosmetically better. Taking more time to sand, and more time in buffing would almost certainly have yielded better results, But, as noted, this was a quick walkthrough for me.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
When this is tried again...
1. Possibly a long alcohol soak for general sweeting purposes. There is no worries about the finish damage at that point, so a total immersion into the booze is no issue. 24 hours or more soaking should iron out all the ghosting kinks.
2. I don't know that the acetone was necessary. It wasn't a soak, more of a surface rub. Sanding would accomplish the same thing, and I sanded anyhow.
3. Sanding could have easily gone on for 20 or 30 minutes to get rid of the char on the rim, and some of the surface discolorations from wear and damage. Also I would have gotten deeper into the original finish and closer to natural.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You might try some OOOO steel wool wetted down with a little alcohol to remove lacquer type finishes. On a lot of pipes it will also smooth the surface as a lot of them are not sanded to smooth at the factory.I usually use 600 grit sandpaper after the steel wool and then buff with white compound--if the pipe is not dinged or scratched deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.