Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I just want to start by saying thanks again for all the help on my last thread! My new question is about churchwarden pipes because I have taken a liking to the look of these pipes, if anyone could shed some light on these pipes I would be grateful!! :puffpipe:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
What do you want to know?
Unlike some, I do NOT believe that they smoke "cooler" due to their longer stem. If this was the case, then shorter stemmed "nose-warmer" pipes would smoker hotter. And they don't.
They're a bit unwieldy, especially if you're out and about but I think they can be comfortable when relaxing with a book.
I recently picked up this "mini churchwarden/long stemmed dublin" from Royal Oaks Briars. It's only about 8" long, whereas actual churchwardens can be 12" or more. But it's very comfortable, extremely well made and smokes great.

Finally, if you want a churchwarden so you can pretend you're a hobbit or a wizard, I politely suggest you resist this urge and instead go outside and try talking to women instead. Trust me, it's fun!
JJ

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Lol no I don't want to act like a hobbit or a wizard and I have a fiance! I was just wondering about there history and where I can pick one up?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Savinelli churchwarden. I honestly don't know why I bought it. I've smoked it maybe 4 times. It's a nice pipe but not part of my rotation, to say the least. In fact, I don't even remember buying it. I must have been sober at the time.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Opinions vary on MacQueen pipes, but I've owned one and found it to be of very poor quality. And on top of that, they're known for slow shipping and poor customer service.
I think they're more of a prop for those who like dressing up in costumes rather than a real pipe.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I will make the obligatory plug for trying out a Mr. Brog 14 churchwarden. Very cheap, $30 at most. A good way to see if you like the style. I really like my no 14 but it will probably be the only churchwarden I ever purchase.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I have a Peterson churchwarden I inherited -- little smoked with no stem that I had a stem made for -- I thought it was going to be a novelty pipe that I didn't use much and I found out I quite like it -- I like having the bowl away from my face, and I do think it smokes differently, or it sort of forces me to smoke a little differently resulting in a cooler smoke because of the nature of the long stem and slightly longer draw, vs. a shorter stem (esp. in comparison to a short stem with a wide open bore which I find easy to get to smoke hot, it takes just a smidge more effort to draw with the super long stem). But I also tend to like longer shanks and longer stems generally.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Churchwardens have been around since the 17th century. One story relating to the origin of the term is that these long stemmed pipes were favored by churchwardens, who stuck the bowl out of the church window to keep the smoke outside.

A number of makers include churchwardens in their line. I have several, including a Stanwell "Hans Christian Anderson" that is a pretty good smoker. Getting accustomed to the longer shape can take some time. If you're going to add a churchwarden to your collection, remember to buy, or order from you tobacconist, extra long pipe cleaners, which range up to 14".

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have 3 of theme, 2 Sav. rusticated and a Bjarne mini. I love them when I want to lounge outside at night and while driving. They keep the smoke out of your face. Unlike others I smoke all of them at least twice a month.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks sablebrush52 for some of the history on these pipes! Is there a recommended quality website to buy pipes at.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Just get a MacQueen. Don't fret and email them constantly....just let it come. By the time it arrives, you'll probably own another Churchwarden or two that are a bit more standard, and will have forgotten you'd even ordered it. It'll be like a surprise present for yourself. And, a pretty good one too! They aren't the best constructed things, but the people I've spoken to first hand who have smoked them all seem to like them, myself included.
That said - my other Churchwarden is a Capri, which I really like, and a mini-warden (about the size of bigvan's) that is just a basket pipe, and I also like.
The most important thing to note from above is these aren't for going around and doing work. Maybe a walk on the town if you have a free hand (I can clench mine, but they need a steadying hand from time to time), but they are best when you can sit still for the whole pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife spotted churchwarden pipes and wanted to get me one. I had looked them over but never bought one.

The one I was given for Christmas is a Savenelli 601, non-filtered with a fully curved stem, which is supposed to

be the original design. My wife also gave me a leather Sav case to carry it (and/or other pipes) and both plain

and bristled extra long churchwarden pipe cleaners. I enjoyed it right away and continue to smoke it in my

rotation. It's a pipe you smoke seated, and its perfect when you're in that mood. It does have a somewhat dramatic

look; it makes good photos. But I like it best because it smokes well.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
A churchwarden is not what I'd call an everyday pipe fore sure, but they do have their place. I don't own one, yet, but I've wanted one for years! Every time I think I'm gonna buy one, I find something else to buy, damn PAD! I've had my eye on a Savenelli semi-churchwarden for a while now, but there's a couple other above it on my list. I'm sure ill eventually get one though!

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
So this thread has lead me to have a browse of the MacQueen website.

I have no problem at all with waiting 12 week for one of those beauties to arrive. I'm getting the PAD itch already :D

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Seitz, don't be too dismayed at getting a churchwarden. Personally, I like the look of churchwardens (not because of Lord of the Rings, which I've never seen), but because I am a history buff and they are cool looking.
That said, they are known to offer the mediocre smokes. I have one, it's okay, but the bowl is small and it tends to burn hot; but I still smoke it now and then. They are also a bit unwieldy, so it's tough to do much while smoking one.
All of that said, most of us (all of us?) choose pipes for both their smoking qualities and their looks - so if a churchwarden really appeals, I say go for it, but look to respected brands like Stanwell, Savinelli, Peterson or Brebbia.
p.s.

I should say that McQueen pipes have a poor reputation. Some really like them, but from reading this forum for over year, I'd say the majority wouldn't buy another.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I found a churchwarden on cupojoes.com and it is very reasonably priced. I have found cupojoes.com to be the site I keep coming back to!!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Seitz, I purchased a MacQueen pipe before doing my research and I have to agree and disagree with the other commenters above. First, I agree with all advice to look at a better quality pipe for your first churchwarden. I also have a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson pipe and it is a great smoker. I also agree that MacQueen service is horrendous and you will be lucky to get one delivered in 12 weeks. Most take 6-9 months to get theirs delivered and there is no way that should happen. I will disagree that it is a prop pipe however, mine is a fantastic smoker for sitting around the campfire with or relaxing with a book or watching a movie. Smoked great from the first bowl. All that being said, I wouldn't recommend one unless you can pick it up from another vendor who already has them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.