PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanharvey

Lurker
May 9, 2012
Hey All, new pipe smoker (as of Wednesday). Finally broke down at 32 and decided to try, and I can tell I'm going to enjoy it.
Just have two questions for the advanced smokers:
1. I am lighting a lot and don't want to burn my pipe anymore than I have on my first 2 smokes. Any suggestions on how to keep my bowl going and smoke/enjoy longer?
2. What are some good aromatic blends to begin with? I have tried something called a 1Q so far, but looking for some expert advise. Also are there any tobaccos you would recommend that will help me to "relax" (which is a main reason I'll be smoking on occasion - to relax and soothe the mind/body)?
Thanks a bunch, and I really am excited about my pipe and future smokes. I hope to get some great feedback from the vets (as I am eager to learn and enjoy the art to its fullest).

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Captain Black in white pouch is a nice aro that is easy on the tongue if your new.

Don't worry to much about relights, that will improve as you learn to pack the pipe properly. You may be packing to tight if its going out on you a lot. Try not to puff so hard that the pipe get hot, its not good for the pipe and not good for your tongue.

You may want to buy a cheap corn cob pipe to practice with as they are good smokers and are great for testing tobaccos.

Welcome and we will look forward to your posts.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As far as keeping the bowl going there's usually a number of things that come into play. First of all is how you pack the bowl. It has to be fairly tight, but not so tight it restricts the draw. The best way to curb this part of the problem is to try different methods of packing (of which there are great instructional videos on this site to help you), and don't forget to check your draw before you light up. Also with keeping the pipe lit the other major problem is not tamping. If you tamp down the ash every 3-5 minutes or so it helps keep the ember closer to the unburned tobacco and keeps the pipe lit better. Lastly the moisture level of the blend can also add to complications with keeping the pipe lit. If the tobacco sticks together when you pinch it the blend probably needs drying time. Just leave the tin/pouch open for a half hour or so.
I'm a big aromatic fan. I've given English blends a try, but right now Latakia doesn't entice me at all. That being said I definitely reccommend 1Q as a beginner aromatic. If you're looking to branch out with aromatics I'd say give Mac Baren's 7 Seas line a go. There's five blends in the line and they are all good blends. They don't burn too hot and transfer the flavor well from the tin note to the smoke. Though they may require some drying time before you smoke them. McClelland has a Premium Aromatics line that's pretty good as well. I love the Best of Show blend. It's a nice caramel nougat flavored blend. Also don't forget to checkout the review sites like luxurytobaccoreviews.com to thumb through reviews of blends. That's one thing that's helped me in searching for blends I might like.

Like has already been mentioned, take it easy and try not to puff too hard. It's an easy trap to get into when you start off because the pipe just won't stay lit. This way leads to a sore mouth and there is nothing more likely to sour you to the pipe than having a tongue that feels like it has been sun burned. Don't worry about burning the pipe, briar is a very forgiving wood when it comes to fire. Don't forget to tamp the ash every now and then to keep the tobacco well-packed. And lastly be patient, one day you will realize that you have been smoking for a half hour without a relight, but it comes with time and practice. Good luck!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@bryanharvey
1) If lighting is troublesome, do not use a torch lighter until you have a lot of "flight hours" and even then some here do not recommend the use as it can and will burn the briar. Wood matches never fail, neither does a disposable lighter with the flame properly adjusted. If the baccy is too wet or too dry then it will have trouble staying lit ( too much moisture or not enough to where it just burns off quickly ). Practice makes perfect and patience is a virtue, as the others noted.
2) I'm not much of an aro smoker but I can recommend the following blends that I have smoked and enjoy : Peter Stokkebye B&B, Peter Stokkebye Black Vanilla, Peter Stokkebye Optimum, MacBaren 7 Seas Royal, Peterson Irish Whiskey and a house blend by GatlinBurlier called Chimney Smoke. A "relaxing smoke" to me would have a nice Nicotine punch, the only aromatic I have found to do that is Peterson Irish Whiskey ..... I find a flake tobacco to be more "relaxing" but that is a matter of personal preference ( Peterson Irish Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Erinmore Flake ). Might be also worth venturing into English/Balkan type blends, such as Balkan Sasieni, McClelland Frog Morton, Sam Gavith Squadron Leader ......
Don't be afraid to ask questions and read read read there is a wealth of information on this site.
Oh yes and welcome to the world of pipes :puffy:

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Welcome to world of being a pipe smoker- i can promise you won't regret taking up a pipe
1. Not much to add here to what has already been said, aside to reiterate the warning about trying to smoke tobacco that is too moist (and a lot of tobaccos you buy will be a bit too moist straight out of the tin)
2. A few favourite aromatics: MacBaren Vanilla Cream (mild, gentle, but still a satisfying smoke), Samuel Gawaith Grousemoor (slightly lemony/citrusy); Gawith Hoggarth Kentucky Nougat (a personal favourite, not too sweet, nice honey note)
But half the fun is to experiment, buy, try, swap, etc,.....and find the ones you like best

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
What tobacco are you using? There are some tobaccos that no matter the experience, require a lot of relighting, that's why one has to learn what to do with them. Usually, letting them dry a bit before packing them into the pipe.
And then I will tell you to focus on enjoying pipe smoking your own way. Probably one of the beauties of pipe smoking is that there are so many variants of tobacco, pipes, and packing techniques that allow for a more versatile range of experiences and procedures. That's why almost nobody claims that this or that method is better, and everyone can just comment his own experiences with such tobacco or such pipe. So relax and puff. There is no art to master, just smoke to enjoy.
Oh, and about tobacco advice, I think that you should bookmark the webpage TobaccoReviews when you fancy a tobacco, see what are the comments there.

Jul 15, 2011
Welcome to the forums! All of the above advice is good advice, but one of the things that you are going to come to find is that pipe smoking is kind of a trial and error process, one that many people enjoy in different ways. My best advice to you would be to keep an open mind, don't be afraid to try new pipes and tobaccos, and don't let anyone tell you what you should and should not enjoy. I have struggled with Virginia and Virginia/Perqiue blends for a long time because I thought I was required to like them, but I have come to find out that very few of those kinds of blends do anything for me. There are also a lot of people who tell you that aromatics are of low quality, burn way too hot, cause tongue bite, and have no taste. I am the opposite; I love aromatics, I love their taste, I love their aroma, and I love the mildness. I also enjoy a good Latakia blend. There are a few things that I haven't seen here, however, that I want to mention:
Make sure that your pipe is well constructed and has a good draw even when not filled with tobacco. You would be surprised how much this will affect your smoke.
Some tobaccos just generally will not get along with your taste buds and your body chemistry, so if you find a blend that doesn't taste good to you or is burning hot, it isn't necessarily your fault. Dont get discouraged and find what you like.
Dont be afraid of relights. You will know when your pipe is getting too hot because it will be uncomfortable to hold in your hand.
Try your tobacco at different moisture levels. Some people like some blends a little more moist, some like them overly dry. There are some people who can't smoke aromatics unless they are bone dry, but I like mine on the moist side. I also like my Latakia blends to be just shy of dust when I smoke them. Other than this, just browse the forum, have fun with it, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is one that isn't asked.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
also, if you are lucky enough to have a pipe club in your neighbourhood, JOIN IT!
not only will you learn a lot about pipes and tobaccos from other more experienced members, but you will also get the chance to swap and try new tobaccos without having to go to the expense of buying a full tin...plus you will make friends with some cool people....i can definitely recommend it
(and if there is no pipe club nearby, START ONE!- my nearest is about 70km/40miles away with anything between 1-5 regular attendees but it's still worth the trip)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to pipe smoking and the forum. Pretty good advice on pipe smoking so far.

I can't give you advice on aros, 'cause I don't smoke 'em much any more. You might enjoy, for a change of pace, one of the "codger burleys", such as Prince Albert or Carter Hall. These are inexpensive, slightly sweet, pleasant smokes that are well suited to beginning smokers. (Better than aromatics, IMO.):puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Capt'n Black White is a decent choice but I do find it "wet". Something along a milder and drier line would be MacBarren's Original Choice. Mild, stays lit well and won't bite you unless pushed very hard. It is one of the few MacB's that I can smoke. Fill by Gravity method; sprinkle by finger pinches untill bowl is full, gently tamp with finger or tool, continue filling and tamp again, continue filling and tamp (gently) Make your char light, gently "touch tamp", then relight and enjoy. This tobacco and this method should give you a great beginner smoke.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Dry your tobacco till it does not clump when pinched.
gravity fill in 3 stages with a thumb/finger tamp at each stage. First tamp should be gentle, the second tamp should be firm and the 3rd tamp should be done with, to quote Cartman, AUTHORITAHH!!! A well packed pipe should be firmly packed but still springy, and should not restrict the draw of the pipe. Should be as easy to draw on as an unlit cigarette.
If you have the time, char and puff lightly till it goes out. Then very lightly tamp the expanded tobacco and ash down and relight the entire surface of the tobacco.
Puff slow and shallow just sipping at the pipe and every once in a while feel free to take a nice deep puff.
Tamp when necessary only with the weight of the tamper...let gravity do the rest.
These, to me, are the basic instructions to ensure a problem free smoke.
You will have a billion more questions so feel free to ask away bro.
Cheers.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Being a newbie myself all I can say is: listen to these guys they know their stuff. Welcome to the forum.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
You can't beat a corncob and a nice burley to start out. The cob will burn cooler with less gurgling, and the burley will be a nice sweet mild taste that is great for beginners.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"You can't beat a corncob and a nice burley to start out. The cob will burn cooler with less gurgling, and the burley will be a nice sweet mild taste that is great for beginners."
I must respectfully disagree, mountainman. There's nothing about a cob that makes it "burn cooler" or gurgle less than a good briar. And given it's nearly total lack of sugars, burley is FAR from "sweet". Plus with its high nicotine content (compared to Virginia), burley may not help bryan with relaxation.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Perhaps "burn cooler" isn't the best description. I guess what I mean is I can puff like a freight train on a cob and u never get a hint of bite, which I can't say for my briars. I love briars because I am addicted to the art of pipes, but it just seems cons are the smoothest smokers I have owned, an very good for beginners.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Bite" is more of a result of the action of smoking, or of the pack, or of the tobacco (probably a combination of all three). I don't think I've ever heard the claim that one pipe will cause a tobacco to bite less.
Not being argumentative. You like your cob and that's great. But a cob doesn't make miracles happen.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great advice so far!!
A good way to tell if you have packed the bowl correctly is that when you draw on it it should feel as if you are sipping soda thru a straw. It if feels like a shake it is packed too tightly and if it feels like just air is is packed to loosely...
Good luck and enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.