PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Evening all. On all of the estate pipes I have gotten to date the inner diameter of the bowl have been consistent from the top down to the bottom inner curve. However I have gotten a no name Italian Lovat that does not do this. The inner bowl is egg shaped. It goes down about half a centimeter then curves out, then in to meet at the bottom of the bowl. I've never seen this before and was curious what that means to the pipe if anything. I'm assuming that it does not impact it's ability to smoke well based on the amount of carbon cake I had to ream out of it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could you kindly post a photo of same?
This is ONE way to add photos to your post:
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
It could mean that the pipe wasn't properly cared for.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so was finally able to get some pictures of the bowl. It has been reamed back to the briar. And the inner bowl seems to be even and smooth on the interior so looks like it was deliberate.

img951989.jpg
img952003.jpg
img952004.jpg

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
There were cracks in the cake and when those cracks came out more cracks showed up. So I kept going to get rid of them and then that's when the strange bowl shape came out. So it's down to the briar now and no more cracks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would finish cleaning and sanitizing and fire it up. Looks like enough briar left to make a right proper smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.