PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I've been a daily pipe smoker for some time and have stuck primarily with straight Virginia blends but my puffing has become more frequent since I quit the cigs seven months ago. I began looking into drugstore blends as a cheaper in between, Carter Hall to be exact the reviews describe nutty, coffee and chocolate notes. I understand notes do not necessarily mean the actual component is present, as it is with certain coffee but I can't seem to find if it's just a note or a topping used in this blend, I know burleys can have a cocoa note on its own. I have a severe chocolate allergy and have always steered clear of anything saying chocolate or cocoa, that's why I stick with Virginia's. Does anyone here have any insight on this.
Tim.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Carter Hall definitely has a top dressing that's flavored of molasses and chocolate. I have no idea if it actually contains real cocoa and not just artificial flavoring, but it's not just notes.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Carter Hall tastes like cocoa and whiskey to me. I'm not sure it would be the blend for you if you have a severe chocolate allergy?

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
The description sounded good.
Carter Hall has been providing a straightforward and enjoyable smoking blend at an affordable price since 1895 by keeping things simple: ribbon-cut Virginia and Burley leaf of good quality, combined in the right proportions.
Carter Hall is a benchmark for OTC tobacco. Mellow Burleys are cross-cut and blended with some flake-cut Virginias and finished with a subtle top note. This cool-smoking blend has been part of the American pipe-smoking landscape for decades and delivers a comforting, bite-free experience; an ideal all-day smoke.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

with a subtle top note
Key words.
thought it was closer to 1956 or '57.
The blend is said to have been around since 1895, but only known by the name Carter Hall since the 50's. It makes since that someone added cocoa and whiskey to a batch of burley in 1895, but that the recipe wasn't perfected and marketed as Carter Hall until the 1950's? I don't know for sure though?
Tobacco is kind of like music I guess? I mean the House of the Rising Sun didn't really exist until Eric Burdon and The Animals got their claws into it, did it? :crazy: :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
FWIW I've always tasted notes of dry cocoa in Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, which to my knowledge is not flavored

Status
Not open for further replies.