PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I have a pipe which cannot be smoked clean (without the gurgle) no matter what sort of tobacco I use in it, and it is the only pipe out of about a dozen which I use through the week. This new Kaywoodie (and the very last one which I will buy new) is drilled visibly off-center when you look down the shaft, although this doesn't seem to make the draw difficult. Therefore, I am wondering if this pipecleaner-test failure is more responsible for the gurgle than the fact that I got it going pretty hot first-off (which didn't take much, it's a thin-walled and generally narrow and deep Dublin-calabash shape). The finish is dark, but there are no apparent scorch marks on the outside. I smoke my pipes mostly in my hand, and I don't like hot smoke, so I stop when I notice the heat building up, but this pipe sure didn't take much puffing (nor deliver much satisfaction) before the heat began to feel dangerous.
Can the failure of tenon/draw-hole alignment be responsible for overheating, even without noticeable draw impairment?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would not think that an off-center drilling would be responsible for a hot or wet smoke. As for the gurgle, the inability to pass a pipe cleaner through the pipe will make it hard for you to sop up the excess moisture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Two thoughts. Try drying out your tobacco a bit before packing it. Most tobaccos have more moisture in them than is necessary for smoking. Let your tobacco dry until it feels dry to the touch but still pliable, not quite crispy. That may help with the gurgling. Secondly, don't puff, except for the initial light or relight. Once a pipe is going take slow sips, like sipping scotch. You'll get a cooler smoke and a lot more flavor and your pipe will stay cooler. If it goes out, no big deal, you relight. Smoking is not a stunt. Exhale out through your schnoz to get the most out of the flavor.

Reactions: Papamique

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Sablebrush got it right as usual! Off center drilling is for some a very off putting flaw and many would pass on or return such a pipe but generally it has no effect on the smoking quality. I have a couple that are off center and they smoke just fine. Follow the above advise and your smoke should dry up a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have some really astute pipe carvers and maintenance and repair people who know about this, so I'm speculating. But I think the main problem with off-center drilling is the longer term wear with the airway drawing in oxygen stronger on one side of the bowl than the other, giving a slightly uneven burn that might cook one side of the bowl, especially if there are any irregularities in the briar. Talking through my hat, but that's my guess.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I was into making pipes for a

couple of years. About 1/2 of the pipes I smoke

are self made. I have a couple which are drilled

off center. They smoke no different that the

Ones that are drilled spot on...to me. If I had

paid for these pipes, it would have bothered

me plenty. These pipes have been in regular

use since at least 2008.

Mike S.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have a Pete Pre-republic Shamrock that is drilled off center and it smokes just fine. As others have suggested below try drying our your blend and sip instead of puffing. Let us know if that helps. Happy puffin',
Dave

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Curing gurgle is a challenge...If you rule out moist tobacco and smoking too fast, you might be dealing with a constricted airway (less than 4mm), or a rough spot creating turbulence in the stream,or some other combination of bad JuJu. I would try opening the airway first...

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Yes, the hole is indeed shockingly off-center. Looks so bad I can hardly believe it doesn't noticably limit my draw. For those who don't believe me:
/https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pictures?preview=Kaywoodie+drafthole+askew.jpg

/https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pictures?preview=Kaywoodie%2C+Goodlooking+Crappy+Pipe.jpg
EDIT: Can anybody actually view these photos? If I am prohibited for my new member status from posting photos, well dammit, you guys really need to see this!

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Ok, forum lords don't want me posting photos tonight, but at least I can upload an avatar photo. Take a look at my avatar, and hold down the Ctrl key while pressing the + to get a zoom view of that off-center draw-hole. I appreciate your thoughts on what sort of trouble should be expected with the degree of offsetting which you see, type of pipe (it is a rather narrow and deep one without very thick walls), etc.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
One more thing: I have taken special care, since I recognized the hard-to-control gurgling as unique with this pipe among others in my collection, to smoke only the driest tobaccos. When not dry with any pipe, I set a bowlful inside a tin lid on top of my toaster for the long cycle, which gets it as dry as possible without singeing it. This pipe has recently been reserved for only the dry natural stuff, which takes a copious amount of force to pack just right against the draw-hole opening in the bowl.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can post a link to your drop box photo, but not insert a photo from that program. (right click on the photo and chose "share photo") Then, paste that link directly into the thread.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
ssjones:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pictures?preview=Kaywoodie%2C+Goodlooking+Crappy+Pipe.jpg

Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpolpa565jndhxj/Kaywoodie%20drafthole%20askew.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y28tvmuoldyfrlt/Kaywoodie%2C%20Goodlooking%20Crappy%20Pipe.jpg?dl=0

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gurgling isn't necessarily caused by out of alignment drilling. Some pipes gurgle with perfectly spot on drilling. Some pipes with misaligned drilling don't gurgle, as some here have attested. From what others have said in this forum, bents might be more prone to this problem. You're drying out your tobacco so moisture has been reduced. Are you a slow smoker, a sipper rather than a puffer? Also, does the airway enter flush to the bottom of the chamber, or is it slightly above? Flush to the bottom in a bent may increase the chance of gurgling, which is why many makers set the opening slightly above the bottom of the chamber.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks OK to me, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that minor issue.
To add photos, from the picture at the Drop-Box page, right click and chose "copy Image Location".

From the Forum "reply" box, chose "IMG". Paste into that box.

J0wG_07pIScis211eJ2qRRd54NNRNb8r-r4JQmnAGGg

ffWP9U2RSISedBNquPh0LVJCv8ZIhDBT9tr1ZSBMIys

J0wG_07pIScis211eJ2qRRd54NNRNb8r-r4JQmnAGGg

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
7WCio7BTHtzldDjxb1ptUP6InB92kr4kq5UYL3-mpEw

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wubfyrudjfcswqa/IMG_20150528_093808.jpg?dl=0
Looks like the draft-hole is indeed slightly above the bottom. Now I'm even more confused, because I'm sure I've heard some blame the hole not being flush with the bottom for the gurgle (leaing dottle to form and pool below it). Anyway, I've also noted a nasty bumpiness on the upper area, where it's smooth at the bottom. I try to smoke down to the floor when breaking in pipes, but it gets so nasty with this one that I just can't. Should I try to scrape this crumbly cake even, or just avoid scraping at all when dump my ashes?
I try to avoid puffing any harder than I have to in order to get a good burn going and a satifying cloud of smoke. I have committed this pipe to English/Balkans from Dunhill and H&H, and sometimes dried-out stogiesque blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.