PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I am one who falls into this category. Although at this time I have not trained myself to taste all the flavors in a specific blend I prefer to dedicate a pipe to a specific type of tobacco say Latakia or Virginias. However I have not dedicated any pipes to VaPers, VaBers and the combination of the both. Is their anyone who does this? What if any are noticeable benefits? Or is it thought that no Suttle flavors will be covered up by using them in my Virginia dedicated pipe?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I randomly smoke Lats, VaBers and VaPers in my Chacom Canadian with no ill effects. Namely, EMP, Irish Oak and Cask No. 7, among others. I would say It depends mainly on the strength of the tobaccos smoked, as these are not too overbearing in their own right.
If I were to jump into Lakelands or heavily cased aros, I'd definitely dedícate a pipe.
I'm still awaiting the whole straight VA thing.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have a fairly small rotation, maybe a dozen pipes. I don't dedicate these. They burn everything, lakelands, English, vapers, burley, VA, etc. I know which types of blends go well with each pipe and I usually gravitate toward these, but sometimes I get crazy and make an exception. Sometimes in this process a pipe will switch loyalties.
I do have several pipes outside my normal rotation that I will grab only when I have certain tobaccos open, escudo for example. It is not one-to-one though, I will smoke escudo in different pipes.
I don't have a pipe that only burns Erinmore, but I think I might find one.

wdc-600x448.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
All of my pipes rotate Old Dark Fired, St. James Flake, Stonehaven and University Flake. Every so often I smoke other blends but they are revolve around those themes (VAPER/VABUR) etc.
Years ago I had a pipe dedicated solely to Pembroke and after awhile, it smoked Pembroke better than any other pipe.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I have one dedicated to Bob's Chocolate flake but that's because it's a Lakeland. I tend to just break it down by aro/non-aro otherwise.

Jan 8, 2013
I've only recently began dedicating pipes to tobacco type or blend. Once you get enough pipes you'll see that some pipes really shine with a certain tobacco or vice versa. For instance I have a few pipes that smoke balkans quite well, but only one pipe that really brings out the beauty of McClelland's Blue Mountain (Balkan Blue). I have a pipe that smokes Bagpiper's dream better than any of my other pipes. Perfect smoke every time, and therefore I've dedicated that pipe only to that blend because I don't want to screw up magic. A couple pipes smoke flakes really well and some that smoke aros well. It's simply a matter of knowing a certain pipe and blend go well together and choosing to get as good a smoke as you can each time, and to also prevent ghosting a pipe you wouldn't want ghosted.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've been too stubborn (lazy) to dedicate any pipes to any blends yet. Probably because I haven't identified the need for doing so yet. Or maybe it's the German in me. German...stubborn...what's the word that describes two words with the same meaning. Hunter? :oops:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I try to keep my Virginas only pipes free of large doses of Perique. I have other pipes that I smoke Va/Per's in, as well as Perique focused blends.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I have Va/VaPer/VaBur dedicated pipes, and English/Balkan/Anything-with-Latakia-in-it pipes.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I've managed to get enough pipes to dedicate to the 3 or 4 blends I have open at the time. So I have one pipe for Early Morning Pipe, one for some Modern Virginia from MacBaren, and then I have two or three pipes for a couple of aro's that I have in my rotation.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
99% of the tobacco I smoke is Va/per, so all of my pipes are va/per pipes. I reserve one pipe for the 1% of the time that I smoke a lat blend. I also use this pipe to smoke ODF. As for ghosting, you'll have it no matter what so long as you smoke more than one blend in a pipe. The question is, do you posses a pallate sensitive enough to distinguish? I do not. I can smoke a straight va/per a few days after a mixed one (like HH Acadian Perique) and not really notice the cavendish/Kentucky/burley ghosts. I know that they're there - they have to be. Maybe I'll begin noticing it in the future. But there's no mistaking Latakia.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I have smoked Va and burley in most of my pipes at my whim to no ill effect whatsoever. I have two bowls for my Falcon, one for Lakelands and one for Condor specifically. Latakia blends are smoked in my meers. Strong Irish plugs have their own couple of small bowled little flake pipes.
I do have to say I seem to be dedicating certain pipes to certain blends by default. Irish Flake was celestial in my GBD billiard one day, so the next time I wanted Irish Flake I went to that pipe again-- obviously. This is happening a lot lately, me repeating great smoking combinations.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I dedicate pipes to particular blends and or tobacco genres all the time. I feel it helps me get more true flavors from what I am smoking in briar pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.