PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I just cracked my first tin of this and it was slightly crunchy, though not turning to dust. Is this normal for this blend or was the tin compromised ? The smoke is OK but I can't help thinking it's too dry and I'm missing out on some flavor.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've only had one tin but the moisture level on that was fine. You may want to email them or just hydrate it yourself. I've also had Magnum Opus which I find to be an excellent blend and one that Russ O. developed for himself. Good luck.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Last month I purchased two 8 ounce tins of this from SP and upon opening one of the tins was struck by how dry it was. Having never tried this blend before I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be on the dry side or whether the seal on my tin was bad. So I cracked the second tin and found it to be much the same -- very dry. I promptly jarred it all up and have been toying with the idea of maybe rehydrating it some before putting it away to get some nice age on it. I smoked a bowl of it and also wondered if I was missing something in the flavor department due to the dryness. I enjoyed the one bowl of it, but couldn't help but wonder.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I opened a tin of Black House last month and it has been dry right from the opening; I think it is this way purposefully not by any mistake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start smoking a tin of the dry version of the blend. Many tobaccos smoke as well or better on the dry side.

You don't want it stale, but often dry to the touch is good, or best. I don't know this blend, but there's a good

chance it will be fine.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a couple pounds of bulk and several tins in the cellar. The bulk comes a little on the dry side, so are the tins that I've popped. I'm pretty sure that's by design, either way it's good stuff!

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Yep, I noticed the dryness as well but it smokes fine. Personally, I don't mind if my tobacco is on the dry side.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There are two reasons for the drier consistency of BlackHouse, and many of my other blends. 1) Too much moisture leads to steam in the smokestream which can thin the flavor and burn the tongue. It also makes you puff faster or more frequently to keep the pipe lit, which distorts the flavor. 2) We want you to pay for tobacco, not water.
Russ

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
There are two reasons for the drier consistency of BlackHouse, and many of my other blends. 1) Too much moisture leads to steam in the smokestream which can thin the flavor and burn the tongue. It also makes you puff faster or more frequently to keep the pipe lit, which distorts the flavor. 2) We want you to pay for tobacco, not water.
Russ
Sounds good to me :D

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've found different tobacco are finicky in that they love different moisture levels.
Black house does not benefit from more moisture.
I would only add moisture if you were planning on aging it in jars.
Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.