PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey all. In my stubborn refusal to hate any type of pipe tobacco, I have been trying well recommended aromatic blends. I have found a couple blends that I at least liked, and one that I love (Thanksgiving Day- thanks Ashdigger). So mission accomplished, and I still have several other blends sitting on my counter waiting for me to try.
The point of this post, however is to ask you aromatic lovers out there a question. I have noticed with two of the blends that were pretty highly recommended (Autumn Evening and MB Vanilla Flake) that while the tobacco had a good flavor and of course smell amazing, when I retrohale there is a strong note that I have heard described by others as syrup (as in pancake, maple) while my brain says to me "celery". To me this detracts from an otherwise good experience, but retrohaling is how I get most of my flavor when I smoke. Do a lot of you aromatic smokers just not retrohale or something?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I apparently do not have the ability to retrohale. I've tried and tried but never figured it out.
I still love aromatics though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I have quipped before, I don't retrohale my food, and I enjoy its taste very well. So no celery aromatic for me.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My wife absolutely won't let me smoke Autumn Evening & MacBaren Vanilla Loose Cut in the house. She says it irritates her throat. I don't retro hale either blend and they don't irritate my throat. I do get better taste when I inhale the side stream and I can detect the aroma better.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I snork a few times, unconsciously. I try not to, but it happens. Never noticed a difference with aromatics 'twixt retrohaling vs. not retrohaling. I do notice a difference with cigars: more spiciness when snorking.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I’m with embers... Almost every puff is retrohaled. Only way I can make out the different flavors, aromas etc. I’ve recently moved away from the heavy aromatics for the same reason as OP. Definitely not a “celery” taste but there is something there I don’t care for. Mild aros that are mostly tobacco forward don’t do this to me.
Oh yeah... retrohaling really sucks with a cold.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
Love aromatics this time of year. Retrohale and all! I especially enjoy cocoa flavoured aromatics with coffee.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't retrohale, never could get the hang of it, but I still don't have any trouble (usually) picking out flavors most of the time. However, sometimes, I'll waft the smoke from the bowl back toward my nose and this seems to help as well, plus it helps me detect the room note better.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aromatic Lovers should shower before they go out

Heh, I actually smoke aros so that I can get the note of them on my clothes and thus everyone gets it too. When I'm gonna be by myself, that's when I reach out for the English blends.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Below the belt yes.. No retrohale for something like errrmmm Plum Pudding???? Just box it and send it to me then!

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Plum Pudding not considered an aro correct? I have 4 tins of the special reserve. Haven’t tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.