PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
OK... I have a question in regards to a chili plant that I bought at a swap meet of all places... this thing is growing like crazy and fruiting all over the place... but the problem is that I have NO clue what kind if chili it is... so I know Lawrence is a MAJOR chili head and hopefully he can help me as im sure he is the resident expert on this matter... but in case there are others if you know anything I would greatly appreciate it.
The stems or stalks or whatever the main part is called is green with white fuzz all over it... in fact it sometimes looks like its glowing. The chilies are green then turn black and I mean BLACK then turn a fire engine red... they are quite hot I would say almost like a regular orange habanero but it quickly goes away... in just a few minutes its gone!
Here are a few pic's
Heres a pic of them red

IMAG0652.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pic's

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I thought Cayenne peppers as well... but (and I could be wrong) Cayenne peppers turn from green to red right? and they are much longer and milder... but I have no idea

but I do know that these things turn completely black before they turn red.
My wife uses chilis in EVERYTHING she cooks ... I love it! :)
What other chili's do you grow?

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Sure look to be cayenne peppers to me. We grow them every year and string them after they ripen red and dry them. Then process them into crushed flakes mostly, but do make our own chili oil too. Yummy stuff.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
ahhh never mind... I just found out what it is...

its a Capsicum annuum, or the Black Cobra pepper, is also known as goat’s weed pepper. :D
Thanks for the input everyone.
But we can continue talking chili's if y'all want. :D
@Rothnh... I have GOT to get me some of those Thai Chili's
@aristokles... I have never made chili oil... any good recipes?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Red peppers are rated at around 15,000 scovals, while jalepenos are rated at around 3,000 (although we grow 6,000 ones at the house and boy are they hot!). Cayenne petters are 30,000 to 50,000 habanero peppers are around 150,000 to a million. Chilies can get quite hot though, the hottest chilie pepper in the world is the Naga Bhut Jolokia (ghost chilie) at 1.5 million and the strongest capsasum extract is 16 million in strength.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7jvw9W-TQ
Heres one with an "Orange" Cobra... I wonder if its related to the one I have the "Black" Cobra... its almost like I described it a huge punch but goes away quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPOzxNOlZa8&feature=plcp

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
We grow them every year and string them after they ripen red and dry them. Then process them into crushed flakes
I also dry my cayennes every year. I then hang them in the kitchen like a good Italian boy should. I do process some into chili flakes, but I leave most of them hanging up for frying. Fill a small pan with about an inch of vegetable and heat. Take your dried cayenne peppers and snip the very end off and leave the stem on. When the oil is hot, drop a half dozen peppers in and start turning them rapidly. They will turn from that brick red colour to dark brown and very quickly to black if you dont watch them. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds before they are cooked. Drain them on paper towel and liberally salt them. They will be crispy crunchy like potato chips and taste like concentrated roasted red peppers. Makes a great accompaniment to any meal. We also do this with long thin skinned non hot frying peppers. Been a favourite of mine since I was a little one.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I love habanero peppers! A typical pot of chili gets about 20 thrown in.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I eat whole raw jalapenos with most meals; love them. I got a set of seven hot sauce bottles last year for Christmas and drank some of the habanero to freak out my sister. That was a mistake. Love curry that makes you sweat though.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm here, just been busy today.
habanero peppers are around 150,000 to a million.

That's an over estimation. A yellow or Orange Habanero peaks at about 30,000 SHUs.

Chocolate Habaneros start at 300,000 SKUs.
IMG_20120823_171252.jpg

Jonahs are very serious at 1,000,000 plus.
BadBoys-1.jpg

And, my hottest this year are the Chocolate 7 Pods at 1,200,000 to 1,400,000+.

I've had a few this season that would have given the Chicago Fire some serious competition.

IMG_20120903_113523.jpg

:puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
To put that into perspective, Law Enforcement pepper spray is 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 units. Pure Capsaisin is about 16,000,000 units.

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Yeah, we eat those black cobras with lunch where I work (I have mostly Hispanic co-workers). Supposedly hottest when their still black.

I've also had the burning pleasure of trying the "ghost chilli" and yesterday the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Capsicum chinense). Too hot rated at nearly 2,000,000 SHUs. I carefully laid a tiny sliver about 1/16" by 1/4" on the center of my tongue and the burn begins. Then chewing and swallowing makes me wish I was never curious in the first place. after 15 minutes or so the heat is gone but by mouth feels a little raw and tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.